Sony doesn't even support it's own XQD memory cards??

4 years 9 months ago #651855 by Juan Anthony
Sony just released their new A7R IV, but wait it has only 2 SD memory card slots??

What??

Aren't these XQD cards their own technology that are supposed to be faster and better?  

:huh:

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651927 by Howard Swanson
Well that is a strange one.  I wonder why?  Doesn't make all the cameras out there with it, seem future proof. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651982 by garyrhook
Product positioning, intended use, development and manufacturing costs, market, requirements.

UHS-II will readily handle 4K video @ 30 fps. Since they're not doing 60fps, nor 6K/8K, and they've put a larger buffer into the body, there's no need for the speed provided by XQD.

And frankly, XQD is just the new Memory Stick IMNSHO. It will never gain traction until it's priced more competitively.. CF Express will win because its IP is not owned by one company.

Yet one more reason I dislike Sony.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651988 by Nikon Shooter

Juan Anthony wrote: Sony just released their new A7R IV, but wait it has only 2 SD memory card slots?? What?? Aren't these XQD cards their own technology that are supposed to be faster and better?  :huh:

Their RDP were well covered and I admit to be puzzled myself.
Mind you, SDXCs are quite performant but too small to be hand-
led comfortably with my big paws… and, still, CF express are in
the future.

I would welcome 2 XQDs instead of a single card on board anytime.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652013 by Finn
You would expect they help get it moving along though.  I was surprised not to see at least one slot that was XQD.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652057 by J Hemingway
I'm not going to say anything till the A7s III get's released.  There were things I thought this camera would have had.  But perhaps they put those features in the video one.  We'll see!  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652136 by Toby J
Perhaps they know something we don't.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652528 by Nathan D
Huh, no kidding.  Well that's kind of messed up on Sony :toetap:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024