Getting used to back button focusing

7 months 2 days ago #652019 by J Hemingway
It's been a week and I keep forgetting about the move and I have so many photos that aren't in focus.  Argggggh! 

How long did it take you to retrain your muscle memory on this?

I know everyone will be different, I'm just hoping to hear some similar stories so I don't feel like an idiot!  :woohoo:

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 2 days ago #652021 by Nikon Shooter

J Hemingway wrote: I'm just hoping to hear some similar stories so I don't feel like an idiot!  :woohoo:

I'm afraid, J, I'm not the one that will make you feel better. :(

I was so desperate to find a solution that BBF and I were friends
in seconds and I was moulded by the end of the day.

I met students that were not impressed at all and went back the
old way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

7 months 2 days ago #652053 by Shadowfixer1

J Hemingway wrote: It's been a week and I keep forgetting about the move and I have so many photos that aren't in focus.  Argggggh! 

How long did it take you to retrain your muscle memory on this?

I know everyone will be different, I'm just hoping to hear some similar stories so I don't feel like an idiot!  :woohoo:

I have tried it several times but it just seems a pain in the rear. I always go back to standard.

7 months 2 days ago #652058 by J Hemingway
Well this is a little reassuring that I'm not alone!  I'll try it for another week and see where I'm at then.  

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago - 7 months 1 day ago #652124 by garyrhook
I still don't understand its value, and therefore don't use it, despite being set up for it.

That said, can your camera be configured so that both methods work?

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #652138 by Nikon Shooter

J Hemingway wrote: Well this is a little reassuring that I'm not alone!  I'll try it for another week and see where I'm at then.  

Wise decision J, I ended up using only the BBF approach for everything.

garyrhook wrote: I still don't understand its value… 

Every time the trigger goes, the AF starts again. Separating Focus and
trigger means that the focus is ignoring the trigger and goes on conti-
nuously increasing keepers rate and saving time in action and wildlife.

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #652144 by Alex
After speaking to some cool peeps, I recently started back button focus again.  It does take getting use too, however I kind of like it this time around.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #652188 by MM Images
I started using back button focus and the win is when you don't need to worry about your camera trying to find focus and you missing the shot because you pressed the shutter button.  At first I was not excited about it, but it does grow on you.  

Photo Comments

7 months 5 hours ago #652248 by Overread
I use it and it does have a time and place.  When you have things moving around in a landscape shot, it does insure you are locked on exactly what you want.  

Photo Comments

7 months 3 hours ago #652262 by garyrhook

Overread wrote: I use it and it does have a time and place.  When you have things moving around in a landscape shot, it does insure you are locked on exactly what you want.  

See, no: single-point focus. Understanding depth of field and aperture, and pinpointing exactly what you want, doesn't require BBF.

Unless you mean that you lock focus on something when it's in the right spot, then wish to hold it while the "thing" moves around. That I get.

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #652341 by Kyle O
Eh, not for me.  

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #652371 by Don Granger
Well if your camera supports different users, just have one profile set up for back button focus and use it when it's convenient.  

Photo Comments

6 months 4 weeks ago #652520 by Dan Spade
Tried and didn't get all excited about it.  I found that I forgot to press the autofocus back button all the time and missed shots.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652879 by J Hemingway
Finally a week later, it's getting better.  I'm actually enjoying it now and I do see benefits to having this act as a locked focus with out worrying about the system searching for focus and messing up my shot.  

Photo Comments

6 months 3 weeks ago #652880 by Nikon Shooter
YEEEAAHHHH!

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In many situations, a small travel tripod just doesn't give you the stability you need for your camera and accessories. But Octopad is a fantastic tripod alternative that offers top-notch support without taking up a ton of space.

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

The GoPro MAX is a fun 360-degree camera, but getting the best photos and videos with it requires that you learn a few tips. Get some insider tips in this quick tutorial!

Feb 14, 2020