Boudoir photography

4 years 9 months ago #652504 by Kristy Blake
I've been asked a number of times to shoot boudoir.  I don't own a studio, and I don't want to photograph strangers in my home in this way.  Which means I would shoot the boudoir photography session at clients home.  Which isn't really exciting to me.  Maybe I'm over evaluating risk, but being set up in someones home doesn't excite me.  Unless I have a male body guard with me.  

I just want to check to see if there are any other options for this to work?  SAFELY.  

Thank you for your help.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652516 by Piechura
A hotel room?

There was an interesting video on Youtube last week about this. It was actually about how most models have experienced harassment from photographers and how to work respectfully with them. Two of the main points were to firstly encourage the model to bring someone they trust to the photo shoot, and secondly, have an assistant yourself to help with the lighting setup. Like anything, the more people that are there, the better protected everyone is. Obviously I understand that someone taking intimate or romantic photos might be a bit embarrassed about having someone else they know in the room though.

4 years 9 months ago #652529 by garyrhook
1) You get to call the shots on how you work.

2) You're in someone's home to shoot boudoir. It's likely only another woman. Why would that be a problem? If you don't want anyone else there, make that a condition. I would think you would be far less intimidating than a male photographer, who might need a chaperone. But otherwise, I'd think it would just be the two of you.

3) What does being in someone's home matter, if you think someone else is going to be there? Couldn't that just as easily occur in a studio session?

So maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing an issue here for you, a female, shooting other females. Most successful photographers I've seen in this genre (who are females) don't seem to have a problem.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #652530 by Nikon Shooter
^^^This, I totally agree with the above.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652744 by Ira Weber

garyrhook wrote: 1) You get to call the shots on how you work.

2) You're in someone's home to shoot boudoir. It's likely only another woman. Why would that be a problem? If you don't want anyone else there, make that a condition. I would think you would be far less intimidating than a male photographer, who might need a chaperone. But otherwise, I'd think it would just be the two of you.

3) What does being in someone's home matter, if you think someone else is going to be there? Couldn't that just as easily occur in a studio session?

So maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing an issue here for you, a female, shooting other females. Most successful photographers I've seen in this genre (who are females) don't seem to have a problem.

Plenty of creepy couples.  Turn on news to see evidence of this.   I wouldn't leave anything for chance.  If you go into someones home, bring 'assistant' who is male and your hired protection

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652760 by garyrhook

Ira Weber wrote: Plenty of creepy couples.  Turn on news to see evidence of this.   I wouldn't leave anything for chance.  If you go into someones home, bring 'assistant' who is male and your hired protection

While not impossible, highly improbable. Someone's going to go to the effort of arranging and paying a deposit on a photo shoot, only to be creepy? Really? And the photographer should address attendees up front, which is what my post was about.

And I'll challenge your "plenty". Yes, there are nut jobs, but they are not as numerous nor problematic as the media portrays. IMNSHO.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652768 by Ja_15
For better indoor photography, I am using Speedfire II from Innovatronix. This can help me a lot. Must try!

4 years 9 months ago #652897 by icepics
Boudoir seems to be a specialized type of portrait photography and you could tell people that you don't do that type photography. If you know of someplace they can find boudoir photographers in your area you could offer a suggestion. If not, it's OK to decline and they can look for another photographer. You don't have to feel like you have to do everything someone else wants you to do; plenty of photographers specialize in seniors, engagements, etc. Do what you want to do.

I used to do home visits as part of my job, but it was with babies & toddlers and their families, so it was obviously for a different purpose. Most of the time nothing out of the ordinary happened, but there can be situations that are unusual. You can make your policies clear but you could run into someone who doesn't stick to that.

I remember on occasion being at a home visit and realizing someone else was in the house that I didn't realize was there, and someone would come out from the back of the house (and maybe more than one someone!) and often they weren't introduced and I didn't know who they were. Nothing happened and some people just live in a chaotic environment, but you never know...  With my job there was a support system, we turned in our schedules and called in changes so they knew where we were. Doing photography you're out there on your own.

If you don't want to do it, don't. I wouldn't bother with it, it's not my thing. Trust your instincts.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 8 months ago #653007 by Jennifer Krueger
Hi Kristy, just an added thought, there are photography studios you can rent on  hourly basis also.  Cool part is that these sometimes have all the lighting gear and  props all ready.  Just saying this might be something worth looking into.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024