Found a San Disk 128G SD card - how to find owner?

6 months 1 week ago #655736 by Ruby Grace
I found a San Disk 128G SD card in a parking lot yesterday at the mall.  It looks like it has not been run over and likely in good condition. 

Obviously it doesn't have anyones name on it.  I was thinking about putting an ad up on Craigslist under 'found' section.  Would you look at the files on the card in order to validate possible people calling in to claim it?  If so, how can this be done where if there is something harmful on it, it doesn't hurt my computer or camera?

Thank you 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 1 week ago #655754 by Nikon Shooter
You might find details on the card and, if you leave
the data on the card, you should be safe to explore it.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #655756 by garyrhook
I believe it's important to reply with facts, not opinions.

Yes, you are at risk with that SD card. Here's a simple article, but searching the web will produce lots of info about this issue.

https://www.cnet.com/news/new-malware-roosting-place-inside-your-sd-card/

You don't know where it came from, you don't even know if it was truly "lost" as opposed to planted.

You can post on CL that you found an SD card, and leave out the size, brand, location, time, etc. Anyone that might be rightful owner will be able to provide more than just a guess at "Samsung".

If someone manages to claim the card, what do you care? Any risk becomes their problem. You can consider yourself a Good Samaritan and move on.

Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #655778 by Nikon Shooter
I have Malwarebytes on all my machines for peace of mind.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

6 months 1 week ago #655786 by Tim Dordeck
I'd just go to Kinko's sign up for a computer for 15 minutes, see if any information on possible owners and let that be the start.   

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #655917 by Sassy Girl
Bring it to the malls 'lost and found' who ever lost it likely will call and check with them.  Let them deal with it.  

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #655931 by icepics
I agree, take it to lost and found at the store/mall. Tell them where and when you found it. If someone lost it that's probably where they'd go to look for it to see if anybody found it and turned it in.

Sharon
Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #655943 by Moe
Agreed, lost and found would be the best option.  Even if you got access, it’s doubtful there will be any useful data to help identify.

Photo Comments

5 months 3 weeks ago #657314 by Liem Stailey
So what happened with this, what did you end up doing?

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D750 might be six years old, but it's still a great value in 2020. Learn about the Nikon D750 specs, features, price, and more in this quick review.

Feb 20, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you've been itching to upgrade your photography lighting but are strapped for cash, Adorama's current sale on Profoto lighting gear might just be the ticket.

Feb 26, 2020

If your photography business is to be a success, there are some pitfalls of photography you need to be aware of. Get on the straight and narrow with these photography business tips!

Feb 25, 2020

When getting started in vlogging, there's certain equipment you need - a camera, microphone, light, and means of stabilization among them. You also need to develop video skills and vlogging best practices.

Feb 24, 2020

Circular polarizers are an invaluable asset for landscape photographers, but they're also useful for many other applications. Learn why you need a polarizer in this short guide.

Feb 24, 2020

If you're selling your camera gear, you need to learn how to thoroughly clean it and pack it for shipping, that way the buyer is pleased with their purchase. Learn how to do both in this tutorial!

Feb 24, 2020

Learning how to display photos on a wall is a simple matter of learning a few tricks of the trade.

Feb 24, 2020

If it's rugged camera bags you're after, look no further than this list of hardcore camera bags that can go anywhere and do anything while protecting your gear all at the same time.

Feb 21, 2020

Setting your real estate photography pricing is a crucial step in building your business. But pricing isn't a completely straightforward process. Get some insights into photography pricing in this guide.

Feb 21, 2020