How much weight are you using under your tripod?

4 years 7 months ago #658782 by Chase Audate
My tripod has a weight hook under the apex and I'm trying to figure out how much weight is good to have on me for this.  I found this 1000g weight on Amazon, is this enough?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 7 months ago #658783 by Nikon Shooter
I carry a 15k saddle sand bag in the car for that purpose.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658786 by Chase Audate
Do you have a link to what that is please?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658792 by Nikon Shooter
Yep, I found this…

Profoto Saddle sandbag

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658795 by garyrhook
A kilo is only 2.2 pounds, Not much. You might want more (20lbs or more) to help stabilize the tripod. Depends upon the load rating of the tripod.

Carry some plastic grocery bags with you, and hunt for rocks. Or sand. Add your bag/backpack. 

If you don't want to carry extra weight with you, that is.

I have saddle bags (pea gravel; easier to work with), too, for light stands.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658796 by effron
Depends on the wind. I carry a couple plastic grocery bags in my pack, easy to fill them with sand, dirt, rocks, etc and hang it under the tripod. My photo backpack also works well....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658797 by effron
Ditto Gary, beat me by a minute...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658994 by Joslyn
I just use my camera bag to hang under my tripod. 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659036 by Bill Rosen
:agree:  same thing here.  I'm just using my camera bag.  Not sure if it's needed, but that's where I hang my bag.  

4 years 7 months ago #659047 by CharleyL
I take a large draw string nylon bag about 10" in diameter and 14" long. If my camera bag isn't heavy enough I fill this nylon bag with whatever I can find nearby that is heavy, usually rocks. Why carry extra weight for this? Use what you have to bring with you or use what is available there, and then leave it there when you are finished taking your photos.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024