Making money as a travel photographer?

4 years 7 months ago #659800 by Kid Prodigy
The one thing I have always wanted to do is travel the world with my camera.  But reality always sets in and I come back to the conclusion that I have no idea how I would make money to survive and pay bills that are waiting for me back home.  

Yet, on Instagram and social media channels, I see photographers doing just that. So how are they able to make money?

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659818 by effron
They find people that'll pay them for photos or just advertise....more great photographers go unnoticed then otherwise....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659843 by Kenya See
You could sell prints, stock and try hitting up restaurants in the locations where you are traveling.  Schedule weddings.   

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659849 by Kid Prodigy
Cool beans, thank you.  When you say hitting up restaurants, are you talking about food photography or taking photos of guest?  

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659943 by icepics
I don't know if places would contract with a photographer travelling through; I wonder if they'd more likely hire someone local? I don't know if there would be a market for prints but it seems like you'd have to find someplace wherever you're going that would let you consign prints for sale (I know how it works locally, not sure how that would work overseas or in tourist locations, etc.). 

What about asking the travel photographers who are posting on social media how they went about it? 

Part of how they're making money if they're posting videos on YouTube is from ad revenue that accompanies their videos. So maybe they aren't really making a living from photography, are they also doing other sorts of jobs? do they have benefits/insurance etc. or paying for that themselves? are they paying into retirement or social security? There's a lot to consider and I wouldn't assume they're managing all that just from travel photography - maybe they are, maybe they have other means of income.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659947 by garyrhook
I'm listening to the most recent episode of The Candid Frame podcast, and Ibarionex is talking with Jeffrey Saddoris about this very subject. Well worth the listen.

The fact of the matter is, few people are going to able to do that, because it's extremely challenging. Also, they live very modest lives, with low overhead. I'll also bet that they learned their craft while funded by someone else. And they've figured out how to sell their services to someone, which means they're focused on building a business. Not just taking photographs.

You might look into travel blogging, too.

But yeah, try to contact the folks that appear to do it. Research podcasts to see if anyone is talking about that. Do a lot of googling.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659979 by KENT MELTON
@Gary - I was just looking for good photography podcasts, any others you would recommend?

Thank you!

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #660078 by garyrhook

KENT MELTON wrote: @Gary - I was just looking for good photography podcasts, any others you would recommend?

Thank you!

While On Taking Pictures is defunct, the existing 325 episodes are well worth the time. As is all of the TCF backlog. I listen to Tips From the Top Floor, but it's mostly technical, and not always of interest to me. After OTP stopped, Jeffrey Saddoris started some different ones, and now publishes them under Everything. Brooks Jensen's LensWork is one of the best, IMO, but it's not technical, rather art and craft. For business, Momentum: The Marketing Podcast for Photographers is pretty good.

The best thing about all of these is the talent doesn't think it's all that and a bag of chips, not snarky, and not pretentious. I don't have the patience for people who think they're more clever than they are.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #660098 by Pettigrew
Try setting up a website and selling prints, offer travel advice and perhaps offer tours if you know these areas well enough. 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024