Red-carpet event: Job for photographers in Boston area

4 years 6 months ago #661259 by Alex
I had a company reach out to me this morning.  They are offering $500 from 8am-4pm
October 15th.  

Here is what they sent me:

"Looking for energetic, photographers with an eye for capturing photos that help tell a story through visual media. We need photographers that can capture photos for a red-carpet event with global thought leaders and CEO’s from around the world on October 15th.  This suit and tie event will be broadcasting live for FOX, ABC and other network syndicated shows for Traders Network Show.

We’re looking for 3 photographers October 15th at Seaport Trade Center. This high level and social impact event will be a great addition to your digital portfolio and your resume. 
Photographing: red carpet, conference panels and behind the scenes.

• Coverage of the event will air across 119 active ABC, CBC, CBS and FOX network affiliates
  • ABC, CBC, CBS and FOX network coverage
  • plus, editorial interviews with news publications"
If you are interested in this job, PM me and I'll connect you to them!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661277 by garyrhook
$500 for eight hours? That's it?

Wow.

I'm guessing they want to own the rights to all images, too.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661293 by effron
That's a traffic Tuesday, five hundred would barely cover parking.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661294 by Nikon Shooter
I'm sure they'll find someone to do it for the "glory"!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661331 by Pettigrew
Sorry, pass

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661529 by Alex
Yep, i hear you guys.  Well to be honest, they originally had a lower  number.   I shared that was not going to excite anyone.  I wasn't expecting what was posted to either.  However these are some friends I'e known for 17 years, so I copied and pasted what they sent me as a favor.  You never know, someone might have been interested in it.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661532 by effron
If may have been good for someone local in Beantown, but to travel there on a workday is misery. Its not the event that's the turn off, its Boston.....IMHO.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661535 by Alex

effron wrote: If may have been good for someone local in Beantown, but to travel there on a workday is misery. Its not the event that's the turn off, its Boston.....IMHO.

Oh yeah I hear you on that one brother.   

I'm not sure if I mentioned last year when my family and I visited Boston, it was my first time.  Actually we all loved it there.  I guess it's much different on short visits when you don't have to work.  Seafood was incredible there.  Theres a 3 story children museum there that my son absolutely loved.  I have to say it was even entertaining for me!  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #661558 by effron
I'm biased, my oldest son spent four years at Northeastern University, I not only drove into and out of that city often, I moved in and out at least four times....:angry:
Its actually an OK city as they go, culture, history and as you said, a couple world class museums....the issue is I've become a hick and hate traffic now.
(Go figure, I grew up in L.A.)

I hope they find some photographers......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661673 by Rob Conley
Fame!  I'm going to live forever!  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661799 by garyrhook
I like Boston very much, and enjoy travelling there. I think the job sounds like it would be both challenging and interesting.

But that's not enough money to shoot and deliver images that they likely wouldn't be willing to license at a reasonable rate.

There's always money for everything except the photographer.

Thanks, Alex, and no intent to be a butthead. And good for you for pushing back right away. Hopefully they'll figure out that if they want pro results they'll need to pay pro wages. ("Pro" as in experienced and comparable to industry norms.)

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661806 by Alex
It's all good Gary!  Yeah I'm stuck in the middle, as a friend I'd be a jerk if I didn't share this with PT, but first I had to get them to pump their price up a bit, and I will say it's almost double of where it was.  Which I'm sure the responses would have been a lot more 'interesting' if I had posted that.  

THEN, on the other side of things, it's not enough that would motivate most.  But you never know.  

Effron - moved in and out 3-4 times?  LMAO did you get a t-shirt or at least a coffee mug with that fun fact on it?  I hear you on the traffic, in California traffic can be an arm pit!  

Speaking of which.  I'm heading down to Laguna in a few minutes to test out some filters.  I'm not looking forward to the traffic on the way there!  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661816 by effron
Moved my son in and out, holidays back and forth, etc....all I got was the privilege to cosign on a mountain of debt. We didn't fall for that ripoff with no. two son though.
I also know about LA traffic, I lived there the first thirty five years of my life...at least I thought that was living. I miss nothing about California except the beaches, deserts and mountains......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661947 by EOS Man
If I was in the area, it would have to be double of that for full 8 hours.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024