When to user a beauty dish soft box vs normal soft box?

7 months 3 weeks ago #661377 by Rudy Sosa
I was looking at soft boxes and noticed they offer soft boxes that are beauty dishes too.  What's the difference between using a normal soft box and beauty dish one?  

I'm sure there is a difference in light, but what is it? I noticed there is a silver metal plate you put in the beauty dish soft box, I'm wondering if I could get this one, use it when I want for beauty dish, and remove the metal plate when not after what ever difference that creates.  

Thank you

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 3 weeks ago #661380 by Nikon Shooter
A soft box may come with a grid. Both will behave like
soft boxes but the gridded one will have a much lesser
spread and faster falloff.

A soft box, to behave somewhat like the soft reflector
does, must have a peripheral output by having a dead
centre spot like the soft reflector has.

A soft reflector will produce at the same time both a soft
(through its larger diameter) and crisp light via the dead
center.

Both must, in any case, be used very close to the model
otherwise they both behave like a normal light source.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #661410 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote:
Both must, in any case, be used very close to the model
otherwise they both behave like a normal light source.

Yup, simply.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #661465 by Rudy Sosa
Thank you, but when you say must be used close to the model.  How close are we talking here?  

Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #661479 by Nikon Shooter
It all depends on the wrapping effect you want Rudy,
The closer the more.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #661808 by garyrhook

Rudy Sosa wrote: Thank you, but when you say must be used close to the model.  How close are we talking here?  

Every photographer should read "Light: Science and Magic". Go. Now. Get it.

Every photographer needs to understand the inverse square law. Go. Now. Study.

Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #661836 by Dana Leeson

garyrhook wrote:

Rudy Sosa wrote: Thank you, but when you say must be used close to the model.  How close are we talking here?  

Every photographer should read "Light: Science and Magic". Go. Now. Get it.

Every photographer needs to understand the inverse square law. Go. Now. Study.

My husband got me this book a couple years ago, and I started to read it and you are right, it's a true winner.  I just need to find it and finish it! 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020