Real Estate Photographers - Is this a fair rate to charge?

7 months 3 days ago #663382 by Nefarious
I'm trying to get into real estate photography as a way to make a few bucks.  I have spoken with a local realtor and he told me that the going rate was $225 per shoot during good times.  However times are slow and he would offer $185 per shoot (per house).  

I don't know yet how long it will take per house, and typically how many photos they will expect from me.  I had cold called this realtor, left a message.  He called me back and only had a few minutes to talk.  So he just mentioned the above, and said if was interested to call him back on Friday and we could discuss other details.  I'm going to call him back, however I would like to get some feedback from others first to help negotiate AND know if I'm getting a good deal or not.  

Thank you

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 3 days ago #663405 by Nikon Shooter
If you're good at something, don't work for less!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

7 months 3 days ago #663409 by garyrhook
Real estate work doesn't pay a lot for mid-priced homes, sadly. An agent will make 3%, which for a $300,000 house is only $9,000. Out of that come a lot of expenses, so you can see why he doesn't want to fork over much more than %2 of his income for photos.

That's actually not a bad number, as I understand it.

Your job is to be able to walk in, quickly and effectively light and shoot each room, and get the exterior, then go home, PP, and deliver quickly. The less time you spend, the more lucrative the job. You want to avoid PS work at all costs. Your agreement should be to shoot as-is; it's the agent's job to stage the home.

If you've little experience at this, recommend Zillow to get a sense of what you think works/doesn't work, and what an appealing image should look like. Don't try for Architectural Digest, try for appealing.

Photo Comments

7 months 3 days ago - 7 months 3 days ago #663410 by Screamin Scott
Fees vary according to locale as well. Many realtors are shooting their own except in upscale neighborhoods. Plus a lot are going with videographers as opposed to still photographers.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

7 months 3 days ago #663417 by effron
Agents all own cameras these days and think they're photographers. You must decide if that's a fair wage, and if you need the work will influence that.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

7 months 2 days ago #663563 by ThatNikonGuy
Some good post here.  Personally I would still try to get over $200 for each. 

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #663622 by Moe
eh, $200 Would be my lowest

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #663627 by icepics
Are times slow in your area? Houses are selling where I live!

Look at your local newspaper real estate section or realtor websites and see what the photos look like. In my area for most typical houses it looks like the realtors took cell phone pictures; high end or commercial propery listings use professional looking photos.

The pro photographer organizations like PPA or asmp.org have links to a pricing guide.

You need to consider being paid for your time and ability (incl. learning and practicing etc. which makes it challenging to price creative work); as well as overall cost of maintaining/updating  equipment, taking courses/workshops, gas mileage/travel time, etc. etc. If you make enough to pay taxes on this you'd need to consider that as well.

Sharon
Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #663641 by Luca
I think with the commission that realtors make, they can afford to pay more

Photo Comments

7 months 1 day ago #663642 by garyrhook

Luca wrote: I think with the commission that realtors make, they can afford to pay more

Do you know anything about how the business works? Primarily their expenses? It's an interesting line of business, and not quite what you might expect.

Of course, a lack of information never keeps anyone from having an opinion, but still.

Photo Comments

7 months 7 hours ago #663703 by Nefarious
Thanks everyone, you gave me something to think about this weekend!

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020