Most effective tool for white balance?

4 years 5 months ago #664485 by Pat White
Happy Saturday fellow photographers.  My next challenge is to get a better understanding of white balance and I have noticed a number of tools I see other photographers talking about here.  

1. X-Rite
2. Datacolor Spydercheck
3. Expodisc
4. Grey Cards
5. Color balance lens

What I didn't see is someone talking about which is the best method between all of these.  

Which is the preferred way to get a locked down white balance? 

4 years 5 months ago #664487 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Pat

I don't think that there's such a thing as a "locked down" white balance ~ and much understanding may be needed to fully come to terms with the conundrum :)

eg- if you were a studio operator, for technical consistency and repeatible results you would need to 'lock down' the WB to match the lighting used inside the studio - but this setting would not automatically work in another studio, and certainly not outdoors

Things like grey-cards are used [very occasinally] to define exposure in circumstances where questionable lighting might exist. Personally I haven't used a grey card for over 40 years

The Spyder device [to my understanding] is designed to calibrate your monitor to a known baseline so that your work can be consistent in colour quality. Nothing to do with WB directly, but certainly is influenced by WB

For myself - my cameras are set as WB = sunshine for 95% of my day to day stuff - alternating to whatever indoors lighting source I might be shooting under on other occasions. I do not use AWB as I want the camera to follow my ideas rather than it wander thru various WB options that it might think are appropriate

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 5 months ago #664505 by Roman Omell
Lightroom. :) 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664517 by Nikon Shooter
As said many times before, WB is the less critical
parameter to set prior to SR — shutter release —
both in studio or on location. I use the grey card, it
provides a reference to be used in PP. However, it is
of the greatest importance in post.

WB is a technical reference not a law. I always set it
after DRL but I won't necessarily stick to it when ar-
tistic intent is an option.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664537 by garyrhook
You're conflating.

The colorimeters are for setting up your monitor for accurate color rendition.

The gray card / expodisk / whatever are for determining temp/tint based on current light conditions.

The two are not mutually exclusive. You'll want to deal with both of those factors, although white balance is somewhat subjective based on the human eye and the light at the time.

I have no clue what a color balance lens is, and haven't needed one to date.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664540 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: WB is the less critical parameter to set prior to SR.

This, of course, applies only to RAW recordings…
I forgot to mention this important point.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664547 by Pat White
I'm on my cell phone driving right now.  When I get home I'll review these.  Thank you all!

4 years 5 months ago #664574 by garyrhook

Pat White wrote: I'm on my cell phone driving right now.  When I get home I'll review these.  Thank you all!

How are you driving with a cell phone? Are you playing Mario Kart, Asphalt, or some other racing game? Or perhaps it's some new software for your Tesla?

:rofl:

Hoo-boy.

I'm teasing, of course, but you still need a comma in there.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664575 by Nikon Shooter
What ever the settings of your monitor, the ultimate decision
belongs to your tweaks of the RAW file.

For sure, I you intend to print, proper screen tuning will help
taking the guessing out of the equation.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664580 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote: For sure, I you intend to print, proper screen tuning will help
taking the guessing out of the equation.

Its actually vital, especially if you'll be sending the file out for print. 
I usually shoot auto WB, unless its astro photography, or dawn/dusk etc. My camera does a good job, and when it needs adjusting in ACR its usually a simple click or two of my raw file.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664633 by Eric A
I keep my white balance pretty much always in auto.  Any corrections that need to be made, I just make those in Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW. 

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664832 by Conner
Pretty much due north for me as well.  I just don't change it in camera these days.  It's the first setting in Lightroom that I'll check and change if need be.  Usually the changes are pretty minor. 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664842 by effron
It was the long way to the short answer, the WB tool in ACR.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664896 by Pat White
Shhhh  don't tell my wife.  I'm so bad about with exploring things with my phone while in my car. 

But saw all your answers, going to review when I get home.  Thank you all!

4 years 5 months ago #665037 by Todd Knight
Yep, pretty same for me as well WB tool in ACR

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024