Photographing on bridges and train tracks

4 years 5 months ago #665287 by KENT MELTON
There is a little argument or disagreement going on with a couple of people and myself.  Can you help me  out: can you photograph on bridges or train  tracks?  Public bridges.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665288 by Nikon Shooter
The only issue I know with your project is that no one
should stop a car on a bridge or be on the driving lanes.
If a bridge has a protected sidewalk. no problem.

Railroads are something special as the land belongs to
the RR Co. I know that one can stand close to a crossing
but not 5m on each sides of tracks without trespassing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665295 by Shadowfixer1
Being on the tracks is technically trespassing. I have attended a session where a railroad representative spoke to a group of photographers. They can if they wish to, have you arrested but that is not very likely. They strongly urge you to not shoot on train tracks unless they are abandoned. I am always puzzled when I see stories about people getting run over by a train when doing a photoshoot. Trains are far from silent and there is usually a long sight distance due to the nature of the track. I have NEVER had a train sneak up on me. Best advice is don't do it.
4 years 5 months ago #665307 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Trains are far from silent and there is usually a long sight distance due to the nature of the track. I have NEVER had a train sneak up on me.

Or if you must, avoid earbuds, loud with heavy bass......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665313 by Moe
Just be safe and stay off them

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665315 by garyrhook
+1 on trespassing. Railroad tracks are private property, and are not supposed to be encroached upon.

Besides... they're dull. It's been done. And mostly by getting the leading lines completely wrong.

As for bridges, your question remains unclear. Actual public bridges, with a sidewalk and everything? Should be okay, as long as you stay out of the way of vehicles. I've shot in the middle of city streets, and all it takes is some sense and care. (Yes, I realize that's expecting a lot...)

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665332 by KENT MELTON
Golden answers!  Thank you and exactly what I needed!

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665338 by Foggy
Didn't a high school teen just die from being on a set of railroad tracks?  Far to many of these each each.  

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665342 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Besides... they're dull.

By who's criteria?

garyrhook wrote: It's been done.

So what?

garyrhook wrote: And mostly by getting the leading lines completely wrong.

Everything should be explored, experienced, freely by anyone who
has the impulse too.

The only restrictions I see are on the safety side of any attempt. I 
would never dare limit members or my students with such talk.

… /

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665344 by Nikon Shooter

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665346 by effron
On tracks and near tracks are actually different. I agree with Hook, stay OFF them.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665367 by icepics
I agree, even if it's not posted No Trespassing or not known if it's illegal, still - it's unsafe!! The sound can be somewhat misleading as to how close they are if there's a curve where distance in view is limited.

Are there people with cameras that don't realize how fast a train can be moving or how much weight it would be on impact??! I live in a rural area not far from a town and heading into town they're slowing down but heading out they pick up speed and do they zip thru crossings fast!

There are a couple of trains in tourist areas that go only a short distance in and out of a vintage depot. Those usually are OK to photograph since they do rides with kids/families and aren't going far enough to pick up speed. But still, walking on the tracks most likely is prohibited.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #665368 by icepics
Bridges? it depends. Again an unused historic bridge may be in a park district, etc. and people can walk across and take pictures (there's one not far from me).

Any in use are on roadways over a creek/stream/river and may or may not have sidewalks to allow people to walk there. It wouldn't be allowed to block the sidewalk so pedestrians don't have to get in the street to get around someone set up with a tripod or taking pictures.

Many in my area are in use by the railroads only and there's no walking on the trestles.

Highway overpasses?? not likely to be allowed for someone to stop and stand there or set up a tripod because of incidents of large rocks etc. having been hurled onto the road below and people in cars being injured or killed. Many in my area now have fencing to prevent that.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024