B&H dodged $7 million in taxes on instant rebates??

4 years 4 months ago #670130 by Ben Vanderbilt
Story from just last month just jumped in front of me.  

I found a couple stories on this  https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/14/20964980/b-h-photo-taxes-lawsuit-new-york-state

and here:

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/14/bh-photo-accused-of-avoiding-over-7-million-in-taxes-on-instant-rebates/

Any further you have heard on this topic?  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670142 by effron
An accusation or media story doesn't mean it happened. A seven million tax bill in NYC is believable, dodging those levies, maybe not.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670159 by Sawyer
Yeah, first time I’m hearing of this.  These are just accusations, they have not been proven guilty yet.  But to answer your question, I have not seen anything on this. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670208 by Tim Kelley
If legit, they have the $$ to handle this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670411 by henryp

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #670412 by effron
Ah, nothing like an accurate accounting.......Stupid new york.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670448 by Randy Shaw
So is the AG going after other companies with the same claim, or is B&H the only one?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670456 by effron
There will be others, the AG just has it in for B&H, the leftists hate success it seems.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670460 by Randy Shaw
It's been months, you'd expect to see others lined up at the end of this firing squad.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670462 by garyrhook

effron wrote: There will be others, the AG just has it in for B&H, the leftists hate success it seems.....

With all due respect, there is nothing here that suggests that politics are involved. If you read to the end of the most recent link, there is some indication that an anonymous entity, that stands to gain from additional tax revenue, is part of these shenanigans. But that's all we know.

The question as to why the tax dept. isn't involved is rather spot-on.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670473 by effron
"The question as to why the tax dept. isn't involved is rather spot-on.".....
You don't think that has a particular smell to it? B&H was targeted a few years back for not hiring minorities, or women. They pushed back and it didn't sit well with Albany. 
NY is as corrupt as they make them. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670574 by garyrhook

effron wrote: "The question as to why the tax dept. isn't involved is rather spot-on.".....
You don't think that has a particular smell to it?

I don't find enough data here to draw even tenuous connections.

If we found that the AG was being directed to pursue this issue, then maybe. But one could just as easily suggest this is anti-Semitic. Again, not enough information to draw any supportable conclusions, at least for me.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #670841 by Uplander
Yeah, agree.  Just not enough meat on the bone to come to any conclusion.  

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703463 by photo-truth

effron wrote: "The question as to why the tax dept. isn't involved is rather spot-on.".....
You don't think that has a particular smell to it? B&H was targeted a few years back for not hiring minorities, or women. They pushed back and it didn't sit well with Albany. 
NY is as corrupt as they make them. 

I once watched a prison movie where one con says to another - "Joe, I was targeted for burglary." Joe replied, "Well, Mack you did it didn't you?" Then Joe says, "Yeah, but just the same, them rotten coppers shouldn't have targeting me!"

Anyway, I read HERE , that B&H pushed back by paying a 3.2 million dollar Labor Department fine for discrimination. Sounds like the law got their man. As for the Sales Taxes - everyone who's ever bought a car with a manufacturer's rebate knows you pay sales tax on the rebate. Imagine if you owned a Ford Dealership and collected the required mfr rebate sales tax, and the dealership down the road didn't, and customers went there for the lower prices, then you would feel the other dealer was corrupt. 

So now B&H has the PayBoo card offered through a partnership with Synchrony Bank. If you get the PayBoo card, B&H automatically deducts the sales tax from your purchase. So in NYC, this would cost B&H 8.875% - However, if you don't pay on time, you'll get hit with about 30% interest!

So you say, well that's fine by me, I always pay my credit card balances in full. Once again, think about that Ford Dealership down road - the one that is "discounting" their cars by "absorbing" the 8.875% sales tax - that would put you out of business. This is how B&H leverages their unlimited access to capital to put other companies out of business. 

So you say, well that's just business. However, Canon, Sony, Nikon and others that have minimum MSRP pricing agreements with retailers such as B&H will not be happy that B&H is effectively circumventing these agreements by reducing the cost of their products by 8.875%. B&H also sells Canon, Sony, Nikon and other products with "free" kits that include B&H knock-off batteries, memory cards, and in-house Ruggard camera bags. One could argue that these free kits circumvent mfr MSRP agreements as well. Once again, thing of that Ford Dealership down the road - how do you compete with the free stuff they include?

Taken in totality, one could argue that the discriminatory hiring, the pain inflicted upon those discriminated against, the non-paying of rebate sales tax and the shifting of taxable burden to others, the undermining of mfr MSRP pricing structures, the possible monopoly implications, and the unfair business practices - well yeah, enforcing laws applicable to all on poor little B&H is so mean.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #703745 by henryp
However, Canon, Sony, Nikon and others that have minimum MSRP pricing agreements with retailers such as B&H will not be happy that B&H is effectively circumventing these agreements by reducing the cost of their products by 8.875%. B&H also sells Canon, Sony, Nikon and other products with "free" kits that include B&H knock-off batteries, memory cards, and in-house Ruggard camera bags. One could argue that these free kits circumvent mfr MSRP agreements as well.
[/i]
There's no such thing as an MSRP agreement. US distributors impose MAP (minimum advertised price) and unilateral price (minimum selling price) programs on authorized retailers. Canon, Sony, Nikon and others  are well aware of our Payboo program and the ramifications on the final selling prices. Since we're in complete compliance with MAP and unilateral price programs  they have no objection to our Payboo program. Likewise, they're each aware of the kits we and other retailers) offer and have never stated or suggested any objection whatsoever. Nor has there ever been any objection to our offering free shipping for any of their products we sell. I'm not sure why you're stating these suppositions with such emphasis, especially as they're inaccurate, but they're inaccurate.  -- Henry Posner / B&H Photo-Video

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024