How to fix liquid stains and other stains on film?

4 years 3 months ago #672049 by No Show
Well this project is long over due.   I have 2 huge boxes of film that I would like to digitalize and hit a little snag.  Some of the film negatives have liquid stains throughout the frames.  Some have discoloration. 

Now the discoloration ones I don't think can be fixed.  However the one that I'm wondering is if there are any sort of cleaners or a way to wash the film that will remove the liquid stains?

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672063 by Nikon Shooter
In hand warm water, wash/rinse the strips and
hang to dry after a Photo Flo swiping.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672106 by icepics
Color or B&W? I'm guessing color so am wondering what might have caused the stains and discoloration and how fixable they'll be. Do you know how they've been stored? If the emulsion has shifted color I'm not sure if much can be done other than to scan and adjust the digital copies.

Depends on what the stains are... I've been able to run B&W negatives back thru some fixer if the stains are in the gloss and on the surface. But if these are color, I don't know...

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672311 by CharleyL
There is a cleaner called PEC-12 that's listed as an Archival Photographic Emulsion Cleaner that I used often back when I had the Photo Retouching Business 23 years ago, when film was still in heavy use, and it is still available, although quite a bit more expensive than it was back in the film days.  
https://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Solutions-PEC-12-Emulsion-Cleaner/dp/B00SYHWAJK  
but it works quite well on old B/w and color emulsion film. It does not work well on newer gel emulsions., laser prints, etc. I still have a 4 oz size spray bottle of it with about 1 oz left and still occasionally put it to use. When in doubt, test it on a small unimportant area first.

Whenever handling film I always wear white lint-free gloves even when using this cleaner or just handling film dry to keep from leaving finger prints on it, and I use surgical gauze patches for wiping the film, replacing the gauze very frequently. The PEC-12 works very well for water and dirt stains without damaging the emulsion on the film, but be careful not to rub too hard or you could damage the emulsion. I have tried other methods like suggested previously and they do work, but I've found that they do not work as well as the PEC-12. 

Charley

4 years 3 months ago #672322 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote: In hand warm water, wash/rinse the strips and
hang to dry after a Photo Flo swiping.

This....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #672324 by icepics
Thanks for the link, I've never tried using that but I think I may get some. It does show up at a somewhat better price from Adorama and www.freestylephoto.biz/2222-PEC-12-Photo...sEAQYBiABEgKVEPD_BwE   compared to external sellers on Amazon (which seems to depend on the seller but I've been seeing overpricing).

I've used PhotoFlo too and know that can be used for some restoration. It might depend on what kind of stains and what caused them if or what might restore them. Maybe try a small section first and see what works.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672326 by CharleyL
Please let us know how well your success is, and which methods worked best for you. My suggested link was mostly to show you the product, and that it exists. If you can find a better deal elsewhere, great.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024