Why do people like manual focus?

1 month 4 days ago #673090 by Jessy Page
With all the advancements on camera autofocus systems, why do people even bother with manual focus? I can't remember the last time I used manual focus.  

I've seen many discussions on forums where some will speak about preferring manual focus.  So what is it about manual focus that you prefer?  Considering the pinpoint accuracy of AF systems, what advantages could manual focus have?

Is it just a feeling retro thing?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 days ago #673097 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, Jessy, I heard about the discussions.

Personally, I use AF all the way because I get sharp images
after fine tuning all combos from the very first day.

Some older lens may not have decent system but I don't go
for those.

Everyone his own but I am not losing my time in nostalgia.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1 month 4 days ago #673102 by effron
At times manual focusing is preferred, in low light where the af is having issues is one. I sometimes prefer manual with macro shooting and use it mostly in landscape...it depends.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 4 days ago #673110 by Tom-Dinning
My eyesight is shite for a start.
I forget whether the viewer is set for glasses or not.
i can’t see the screen in daylight.
Im old and slow.
This is why I use AF.
being able to lock a green rectangle on subject of choice is my choice of modes.
DoF preview is a memory. Some guessometry is involved.
If I’m close and the AF has trouble finding my target I go to manual and move the camera. Or the subject.

Any blurred shots resulting from mishaps are declared purposeful and labeled Art.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 days ago #673174 by fmw
It isn't that people like it.  It is simply needed in some situations.  Examples are an image that needs the plane of focus elsewhere than the nearest part of the subject or low light where AF fails to work.  Also, many of us use manual focus lenses so there isn't any other option.

Photo Comments

1 month 3 days ago #673188 by icepics
I can focus manually better than a camera's auto system can, especially in lower light. Not hard to do if you learn how.

I learned that way so it's easy for me, and I enjoy it. I have older lenses I use on film rangefinders and on my digital camera so I still need to focus those manually. I don't really have a need for auto...

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 2 days ago #673282 by Pettigrew

icepics wrote: I can focus manually better than a camera's auto system can, especially in lower light. Not hard to do if you learn how.

I learned that way so it's easy for me, and I enjoy it. I have older lenses I use on film rangefinders and on my digital camera so I still need to focus those manually. I don't really have a need for auto...

True, but only in certain situations and it depends on the camera. 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

1 month 2 days ago #673324 by CanonKid
Manual lenses are just fun to use!

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020