24-70mm f/2.8 lens -OR- Gimbal, external monitor mic, etc.?

4 years 2 months ago #677010 by BobTheH
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Nikon D7200 DSLR to a full-frame mirrorless camera in a month or two. I have been doing landscape photography and now want to embark on filmmaking/cinematography (travels) to document our experience in going to places subject of my landscape photography. So basically, I'll be doing landscape photography, travel filmmaking/cinematography, a little portraits, and family events. No professional work here (for now), just a beginner wanting to get into and stay in the hobby. 

I'm looking at a budget of U$ 3,300.00 aside from the proceeds of the sale of some of my existing equipment. With that, I would have either of these 2 options at the end of the day:

Nikon Z6 Filmmaker's Kit:
Nikon Z6 body
Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4
Moza Air 2
Atomos Ninja V
Rode VideoMicPro+
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g (existing lens)
Yongnuo flash (existing equipment)

-or-

Sony A7iii
Sony A7iii body
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
*Savings up to $1,000

with this, it's basically: 24-70mm f/2.8 lens vs. Moza Air 2, Atomos Ninja V, Rode VideoMic Pro+, 50mm f/1.8 lens, and flash.
and which system is somehow future proof for at least 3 more years?

My thoughts here:

1. If I choose Sony, I can still buy the Moza Air 2, and 50mm f/1.8 lens using the $1,000 savings, if I do really need them.
2. Nikon would be ok as I wouldn't need the f/2.8  aperture that much anyway. If I need one, I still have my existing 50mm f/1.8 lens.
3. I don't see how the Rode VideoMicPro+ would be useful to me. At least for now.

This is just me, a beginner in the hobby, thinking out loud. What are your thoughts on this? Would you choose the f/2.8 lens over the other equipment I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

4 years 2 months ago #677030 by garyrhook
IMNSHO there's no such thing as "future proof".

You can expect to geth 3+ years out of your equipment, possibly more, depending upon what problems arise that need solving by newer equipment. You're a hobbyist, so I'll say "not many" to that.

Rule #1: it's not the camera.

If you want to learn to make films, there's a lot to learn, and you probably already know enough about the technical elements of the camera to be able to use any camera.

The Ninja is great, but you're going to need more storage for your computer, too.

As for lenses, that's up to you. What is your aesthetic? And is that 50 a DX or FX lens?

That said, Nikon. But I'm biased.

And you'll find the gimbal a useful tool, so that's probably a given for filmmaking.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024