Using Stimulus Check For Camera Gear?

3 years 11 months ago #683232 by Kristy Blake
Is there any right or wrong to spend my stimulus check on camera gear? My husband and I aren't agreeing on this.  As I see it, the idea of these checks is to 'stimulate' consumer spending, right?  If I'm buying from a local camera shop, I'm helping to keep that business open.  

I don't see anything wrong with this at all, again my husband does.  Where do you stand?  Is this morally OK in your book?  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683236 by garyrhook
The government is handing out money to taxpayers, ostensibly to survice. You may do with it as you wish, according your needs.

My wife wants us to give our stimulus money to the kids; I want to apply it to bills Of course, we haven't seen the money yet, so there's nothing to discuss at this point.

If you're an earner with an income, your husband should defer to you.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683238 by Photo Mojo
Absolutely, use it for whatever you want.  If you don't need it for bills, then spend it responsibly.  I know a few small business owners who are struggling, so IMHO, helping out the small businesses, is a good thing right now.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683247 by Kristy Blake
I see nothing wrong with that.  Beats those going out there and spending on drugs.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683290 by KenMan
+1 use it for what you wish, spend wisely 

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683537 by Patrick G
I'm all for using it on what you want.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683538 by Brachenland
Although I haven't thought about any new gear, though it would have been nice to get a new lens.. there's one thing the wife and I agreed on how best to use the check.. We got 2,400 and 800.00 of that went for a new softtop for the jeep.. the rest was put into saving for a trip in Dec.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #683546 by KCook
As the others already said, nothing wrong with it. But it's also not an obligation. If you want to do "good" with the check, buy some nurses PPE.

Personally, I am not in the grip of gear lust right at this moment. So I will use the check to pay down my plastic. When the bug does strike me, I will reach for the plastic. That's just me.

ohwell

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 11 months ago #683547 by Brachenland
oh I forgot the mention in my above post.. I hope all of those getting these check will have to pay this back next taxes time. There will probably something on the tax forms indicating the total amount you got during that time and it must be reported. So don't think this is free and clear money.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683552 by garyrhook

BrokenCanon wrote: oh I forgot the mention in my above post.. I hope all of those getting these check will have to pay this back next taxes time. There will probably something on the tax forms indicating the total amount you got during that time and it must be reported. So don't think this is free and clear money.

I think you meant "won't have to".

And no, the money is not a loan, and won't have to be paid back. That's been made very clear.

The only unanswered question is how all this gets paid for in the future.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683600 by Robert Chen

garyrhook wrote:

BrokenCanon wrote: oh I forgot the mention in my above post.. I hope all of those getting these check will have to pay this back next taxes time. There will probably something on the tax forms indicating the total amount you got during that time and it must be reported. So don't think this is free and clear money.

I think you meant "won't have to".

And no, the money is not a loan, and won't have to be paid back. That's been made very clear.

The only unanswered question is how all this gets paid for in the future.

:agree:  that is a growing big question

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683703 by Ian Stone
I haven't received a cent, so can't answer that.  But if you got it, use it for what you feel is important.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  It's going to support small businesses.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #683705 by Brachenland
Mark my Words: "You WILL have to pay this back during next tax season" Nothing is free Trump is a shrewd business man and he knows the tax laws. I've worked for the Gov for 10 years and know what's coming and how things are done. So Gary, shut the hell up and stop stalking my topics.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683745 by icepics
You said 'my' check, do you and your husband file jointly? Is it shared between the two of you? So what do you usually do with tax refunds, etc.? 

I think the intent was to help stimulate the economy, but it probably depends on anyone's financial situation; people might need it for bills, or groceries, etc. especially if they've been laid off. Indirectly if people use the check to pay bills it might free up spending money for them later on. I think it's for you to use the money as you see fit.

It sounds like you want us to tell you it's okay to spend it on camera equipment or to justify it, but we don't know your financial situation or if you file jointly what your husband wants to do with the check (or with his half?!) and it's up to you two as a couple how you use it.

As far as if it will be taxable income or not next year, the IRS says under Receiving My Payment 'you will not...' '...pay income tax on your Payment.'
www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-...t-information-center

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #683758 by Shadowfixer1

BrokenCanon wrote: Mark my Words: "You WILL have to pay this back during next tax season" Nothing is free Trump is a shrewd business man and he knows the tax laws. I've worked for the Gov for 10 years and know what's coming and how things are done. So Gary, shut the hell up and stop stalking my topics.

Umm... wasn't your topic dude. You also have no right to tell anyone to shut the hell up. That isn't your place. If you have an issue with someone, report it, and if need be someone who has the authority to tell somebody to shut the hell up will do so, but that's not your call.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024