Shutter count discrepancy on used camera purchased - what would you do?

3 years 11 months ago #683920 by Pete Franko
I just bought a used camera for my wife from someone off of Craigslist last week.  It was a Nikon D850 which had been advertised as having 2618 shutter actuations.  Over the weekend, as I downloaded my wifes photos, I decided to upload one to a shutter count site, and it turns out this camera has 11,789 shutter actuations!  

That's a 9,171 difference.  I've left the guy a message already.  How would you approach this?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683945 by Nikon Shooter
9,171 shot? of your wife?!?!?!?!? … just joking!

Considering the potential longevity of the D850 mirror mechanics,
12,000 is still a new camera… if the price was right.

OTH, a false declaration is unforgivable, but given what I said befo-
re — I am not asking the price you paid — it is your decision.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683962 by Screamin Scott
As Nikon Shooter has said... It's still almost new... They have a shutter life expectancy of around 150,000 to 200,000 actuations IIRC.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683988 by garyrhook
That is a negligible difference, and would not affect the sales price one iota.

Perhaps the seller didn't know how to upload a photo to camerashuttercount.com to get the real number?

You could have verified the shutter count at the time of sale. Meet at a starbucks, take your laptop and a memory card, and check the goods out. Except that we can't meet at a Starbucks any longer...

I would have asked the seller to email me a photo taken right then. One could verify EXIF data and check the count.

That said, whether intentional or not, whether the guy is a jerk or not, if you're happy with the camera, let it go.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684019 by TedReichner
Well that doesn't make it right that he must have pulled a number from his a$$ to give to you.  I'd be ticked off, hopefully you got a good price?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684027 by Nikon Shooter
A camera is somehow similar to a car in many ways. A car with
12,000 on the odometer is used for sure but is still a very good
investment… if the price and condition are right.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684035 by Joslyn
I'm rather outspoken, I'd definitely say something.  Off by a few hundred is one thing, off by nearly 10,000 is a night and day error or mislead.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684199 by Scott Klubeck
+1 that number came from somewhere.  If he didn’t know how to do, then don’t give a number pulled from the air.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024