File Extension Question

3 years 10 months ago #686393 by Brenda Dantzig
When renaming your RAW files in your camera to something different.  Let's say you take .NEF and change to .D750.  Are there any negatives or problems I might face?  I haven't done this, but was thinking about it, however wanted to check to see if any problems might come from this. 

The reason for doing this is so that I can separate files on my computer with out having to look at EXIF data.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686395 by fmw
Your software won't recognize the extension.  You will need to change it back to .NEF in order to edit.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #686397 by Nikon Shooter
An extension may be changed but not in the camera. The ".NEF"
is the ID of the file and without it, it won't be recognised.

I use either my converter or a third party app to batch rename files
in my archive. For example, I work with four bodies and say that all
took shots that are all called XXX_1234.NEF on the same day. Their
respective names will be changed to

D3S   =   1234 DS.NEF or 1234 OS.NEF or 1234 BS.NEF
D3X   =   1234 DX.NEF
D810  =   1234 D1.NEF
D850  =  1234 D5.NEF

where the S, X, 1, and 5 identify the bodies. The "D" identifies me as
my two sons are "O" and "B".

This ways, all the files can be in the same folder eventually and may
be listed either by name, date, shooter or else.

DON'T CHANGE ANY EXTENSION, EVER

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686409 by garyrhook
It's real simple: don't.

Because Windows (and maybe MacOS?) stupidly rely upon the name/extension to know what type of file it is. (N.B. Unix implemented magic numbers to identify file types, back in 1970. Another unfortunate failing of MS-DOS and Bill Gates to not adopt that concept. It has lead to nothing but trouble for years.)

Anyhoo...

If you're using LR, you can set up a custom naming rule and incorporate the camera type into the name. Although one wonders how much value that has when the EXIF data tells you about the camera.

And what happens if you have files from two bodies of the same type? Been there, done that. It takes more thought to organize then changing the extension.

Frankly, using the three character prefix in the camera is your best bet. It doesn't have to be "DSC". Make it "750" or "75A" or "C01" and keep a cheat sheet that translates the code to whatever it means.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686414 by Brenda Dantzig
Oh wow, so glad I asked this!  Now does it matter if the extension name is simply smaller case vs capital?

You all are awesome, thank you!

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686422 by Nikon Shooter
Hi Brenda,

Nikon generate these files in caps, to stay out of
trouble, keep it that way.

The only time I've seen small cases was from re-
covered files of crashed card.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686498 by garyrhook

Brenda Dantzig wrote: Oh wow, so glad I asked this!  Now does it matter if the extension name is simply smaller case vs capital?

You all are awesome, thank you!

Another failing of DOS/Windows: upper and lower case are equivalent. Therefore, no, case does not matter there. Do what you wish, although, again, I leave mine alone. I've found no reason to change it.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686542 by Duncan K
+1, good advice I would recommend you follow.  No need in changing.  Set up seperate folders on your computer for each camera.  When you import the files, just save in the respected folder.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024