When photographing birds from distance, are you using viewfinder or binoculars?

3 years 5 months ago #700308 by Little Kate
Morning!  I'm getting into or trying rather, wildlife photography.  I'm shooting with my longest lens (70-200mm) however plan to get a telephoto during the holiday season.  But when you are shooting birds or animals from a far distance, and they are so small.  Are you observing them using your viewfinder or do you have a set of binoculars you use till you are ready to take the shot?  Otherwise, with these being so far away, you could easily lose site of the bird/animal?

Kate

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700316 by Nikon Shooter
Hi Kate,

my 600 mm ƒ4 / D850 combo outperforms many binoculars
so for observation and shooting that will suffice.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700333 by Little Kate
But if you didn't have a 600mm would you have used your viewfinder or binoculars?

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700352 by Nikon Shooter
Your title question said:

Little Kate wrote:  When photographing birds from distance, are you using viewfinder or binoculars?

Little Kate wrote: But if you didn't have a 600mm would you have used your viewfinder or binoculars?

Then I would use the most powerful tool at my disposal to spot the
subject… knowing that when I'd be close enough it could be gone.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700513 by Paul Velasco
My neighbor is a big bird'er. He's always out there with his camera and using binoculars for spotting.  

3 years 5 months ago #700604 by Nefarious
I have 2 sets of binoculars and one is always in my car/truck.  Does that answer your questions?  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700632 by Shadowfixer1
If you need binoculars or a long lens for spotting the birds, you're too far away to make images of them.
3 years 5 months ago #700636 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you need binoculars or a long lens for spotting the birds, you're too far away to make images of them.

Exactly.

This Kingfisher I could follow for a short while over the waters
of the marsh — a very small bird from my position. It caught
my eye thanks to its colours. I succeeded this capture with the
said combo but to the price of resolution.

I have no chance to ever be able to publish this image because
it is — as you see it — at 100%! I could not resist taking it as im-
ge hunter but this is no bread shot!

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700651 by Piechura
The advantage of binoculars is that it's very tiring to hold a long lens up while you're trying to spot animals. The other thing is that sometimes you don't want to photograph the animal straight away, you want to watch it for a while first. If you start snapping away straight away, you might miss some clues about behaviour that will help you get a better shot later.

3 years 5 months ago #700760 by Toby J
Binoculars, small pair

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #718364 by Joshrichards7
I prefer only big binoculars but it`s just because I got used to it, using them helps me to find animals much faster.
But if you`ve never tried one, it must be quiet difficult to switch on that 

2 years 10 months ago #718460 by peterock33

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you need binoculars or a long lens for spotting the birds, you're too far away to make images of them.

This was my first thought when I read this post.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024