Are tilt shift lenses obsolete?

3 years 3 months ago #707162 by Ruby Grace
I'm on a call with another photographer who I meet almost weekly on Zoom.  We just talk about anything and all photography.  Kind of like following the wind.  LOL 

We are at a disagreement this morning regarding tilt shift lenses.  Can't the effect that is normally be created from these expensive speciality lenses be duplicated in post processing these days?  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707164 by Shadowfixer1
Mimicked but not duplicated. This is mainly due to subject distance to the lens. If there are subjects very close and the background can be seen through this, it's hard to separate the two so they look differently.
3 years 3 months ago #707166 by Ruby Grace
OHHHHH.  So when you say close, is this something that will fool (in a OK way) most?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707167 by Nikon Shooter
I own and use two PC lenses, the Nikkor 24 and the 85mm… irreplaceable.

There are limits to what may be done with the keystone tool — not to men-
tioning the loss of image that can be ginormous sometimes. PC lenses will
help preserve the image… but not quite as much as an optical bench though.

When dealing with perspectives, there is no way out. Obsolete? Far not.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707168 by Ruby Grace
Gotcha, so is this a lens that you us often?  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707171 by Nikon Shooter
Yes.

For corporate clients that want shots of their offices, factories and
what not — inside or outside.

Wonderfull macro lenses as well and ideal for "mini town" effect.

The possibility to apply the Scheimpflug approach is most precious.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707177 by Ruby Grace

Nikon Shooter wrote: Yes.

For corporate clients that want shots of their offices, factories and
what not — inside or outside.

Wonderfull macro lenses as well and ideal for "mini town" effect.

The possibility to apply the Scheimpflug approach is most precious.

Do you do mostly corporate work?

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707180 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, mostly.

… Until my sons take over, I basically keep busy with corporate
and publishing works.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707418 by db3348

Ruby Grace wrote : Can't the effect that is normally be created from these expensive speciality lenses be duplicated in post processing these days?

Ruby ,  and even getting  an appreciably close mimicked tilt effect or distortion adjustment  in post-processing  typically  still takes  significantly longer (from my experience)   than using the tilt-shift lens . 
I  can get  a perfect shift adjustment (for fixing "keystone" distortion)  in 2 to 3 secs  on a tilt-shift lens .  Doing that in post-processing  takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get an even half-decent result ,  and  reduces  image quality to some extent .
As for the tilt effect for the "minitown" effect type adjustment  , again 10 secs on the camera ,  best part of half-hour in post-processing  and  still doesn't quite produce a seriously convincing result . (Guess I need more practice )   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024