Epic photographer road trip idea

3 years 2 months ago #710798 by Tony Imaging
Hey guys.  I've been thinking about doing a cross country road trip, THEN shipping my truck to Europe and continuing that trip through out Europe.  Actually to reduce cost, I was going to get a roof top tent and just sleep in that thing.  

So, 

Any idea on shipping a vehicle to Europe and the time it takes?  Will it have to wait in customs?  

What about any special permits to drive my U.S. register truck there?

Does Europe have disperse camping on public land like here?  

A lot of questions, thank you for your help!  

Tony

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #710838 by cowboyup3371
Shipping your vehicle to Europe will be very expensive and some countries may require modifications to your vehicle to be able to drive it (i.e., England requires an additional light at the rear of the car for fog reasons). You would do well to check into each country's requirements before attempting it.

3 years 1 month ago #710962 by db3348
Tony, on the point of :

Tony Imaging wrote :  Does Europe have disperse camping on public land like here?

Depending on the time of year , in spring-to-fall months ,  maybe .             
In the more southern countries ,  maybe all year ,  but the the more northern and alpine areas , most if not all camping facilities are  closed , and impractical - bordering on dangerous anyway ,  in winter  because of snow .              
In some countries ,  e.g, many such places in Switzerland (from my observations in 2011-2012),  camping on public land is mostly prohibited and  regularly patrolled , and  you are politely asked  by authorities to move on if found .  
Like cowboyup suggests ,  check with countries' consular representatives .

db3348

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711072 by Randy Shaw
:agree:   Good post 

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711110 by Overread
From NY to shores of Europe will cost ~$2000 and will take about 20-30 days.   Europe as I understand doesn't have BLM like U.S. does.  These will be more specific camp grounds you will stay at.  I might be wrong, however an old friend traveled to Europe and backpacked back in the '80s and this is what I recall him telling. 

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711185 by db3348
Overread ,  refresh my memory : what's BLM stand for ?

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711186 by Roy Wilson
That does sound like a good time!  Can't help you on the cost side of things.  But will say good luck and have a good time!  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711237 by cowboyup3371
DB, BLM is Bureau of Land Management which handles much of the open space out west. Also, the National Park Service (NPS) and National Forest Service will handle the national parks/national forest areas in the US

3 years 1 month ago #711273 by Street Shark

cowboyup3371 wrote: Shipping your vehicle to Europe will be very expensive and some countries may require modifications to your vehicle to be able to drive it (i.e., England requires an additional light at the rear of the car for fog reasons). You would do well to check into each country's requirements before attempting it.

But isn't U.S. restrictions greater than European cars?  

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #711285 by cowboyup3371

Street Shark wrote:

cowboyup3371 wrote: Shipping your vehicle to Europe will be very expensive and some countries may require modifications to your vehicle to be able to drive it (i.e., England requires an additional light at the rear of the car for fog reasons). You would do well to check into each country's requirements before attempting it.

But isn't U.S. restrictions greater than European cars?  

For certain items on some cars at one time, i.e. emissions, yes.  However, that country may require other changes so please do the research first before you spend the money and then cannot use the car.

When i was stationed in Germany from 2000 to 2004, we could not have ANY LEAKS, rust, or other problems with the car.  Rust spots we would ignore here in the states would automatically fail the vehicle there.   If you had any of those issues, you would not be allowed to operate the vehicle on the road (this is not just an American requirement but a German one; the inspections were done following German regulations even on base) until it was fixed.  The site below states the same thing though what quick reading I did didn't fully explain all items they will look for.

A quick search found this site - note what they are saying about  taxes and duties

www.cfrrinkens.com/international-car-shi...shipping-to-germany/

3 years 1 month ago #711322 by KENT MELTON
How long will you be over there for?  By the time you ship your vehicle there and back, would it not be cheaper to just rent a van and toss an air mattress in the back?  

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711333 by peterock33
Wow, that sounds like a great trip.  I hope you can pull it off.  Good luck.

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711500 by Ian Stone
I was going to say the same thing.  Why not just rent a van when you get there? 

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711653 by Ted Helm
That's what I would do, fly over there, rent a van and just use the $$ that you would have spent on transporting your whip on traveling.  At the end $$ saved in your pocket!

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #711823 by Cory J
Man, I'm jelly!  That would be so much fun!  But I agree, I would just rent a van there.  Why even bother with shipping and dealing with your insurance company.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024