Why the FLAGS?

3 years 3 days ago - 3 years 3 days ago #715477 by Nikon Shooter
As it happens very often, my sweet daughter popped up in the PP room
with fresh coffee and, as usual, she sat down looking over my shoulder.
I had my RAW converter opened and was peaking at a forum's notifica-
tion when she came up with: 

"Why the flags? Why is it important in a photo forum? What's the idea?"
She had all kinds of things to say and questions to ask. I quietly listen to
her concerns and ended up saying: "I think this is a great feature that all
are free to use."

The most important point, in my eye, for the flags is that they say some-
thing about the origin of a member… something like a cultural badge that
may explain how things are seen, felt, and — though through a common
language used by all — everyone has a twist expressing themselves and
I include local expressions and formulations that are typical in given cul-
rural environments.

I don't see the flags as national or political statements but as cultural re-
ferences and affiliations — as diverse as they may be.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 days ago #715514 by peterock33
This is a really great post NS.  You have made some statements that have been thoughts in my mind as well.  I always notice what part of the world some of these posts and photos have their origins from.... it is interesting and also informative.  Never once have I had any thoughts about national or political leanings of any kind.... it has always been about the photography.  With all the crap going on, everywhere in the world today, it is so nice to have a place and outlet to get away from all that bull.  There is no place for it here.

Anyway, I don't want to rant, but I have wondered why there aren't flags for everyone who posts here.  It is very interesting to know from what part of the world these comments and shots have come from.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 days ago #715540 by Nikon Shooter
Somehow, I am not surprised we agree on that…
we wear the same badge after all! :P

Photo Comments
3 years 3 days ago #715542 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Just about everything we do / see / etc. today is of an international nature, and so is this discussion group. To show a flag gives the viewer of a post some inkling that enthusiasts from around the world are sharing ideas / skills / knowledge and making the world a better place

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 days ago #715543 by Nikon Shooter
Phil for president!

Photo Comments
3 years 2 days ago #715564 by Stanly

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day NS

Just about everything we do / see / etc. today is of an international nature, and so is this discussion group. To show a flag gives the viewer of a post some inkling that enthusiasts from around the world are sharing ideas / skills / knowledge and making the world a better place

:agree:   Yep, good post

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
3 years 1 day ago #715659 by Glen Mosley

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day NS

Agree, good post.   I like to see I'm talking with people outside from my normal bubble.  Kind of the same feeling you get with a HAM radio when you get to talk to people in the next state over other side of the world.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716134 by peterock33
I was expecting more comments here.... when I first read NS's post, I thought this would end up with 2 or 3 pages of replies. Cheers.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716167 by icepics
Been on this site so long I don't really notice or pay that much attention to them anymore, just used to seeing them. When signing up I think it's just part of the registration.

I think it's nothing more than a feature of this website/forum and the program being used (sort of like sites/message boards that have points that mean - nothing...).

Sharon
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716271 by No Show
Eh, I'm good with it.  It's nice to see where people are from.  Kind of like a quick visual reference.  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716273 by Paulina K
:agree: that's about it for me too, a quick visual reference.   

2 years 11 months ago #716347 by Rick Larin
Why important?  Got me.  But if you want my 2 cents on the topic, forums are all about community, flags are in my opinion, one of those little indicators that help you learn about others.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716422 by Prago
I don't pay much attention to these, but I suppose these would be helpful for reference.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716876 by KenMan
+1 with the thought on little nugget about learning more about peeps

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024