How to photograph an arrow mid flight?

2 years 6 months ago #726465 by Finn
I want to photograph an arrow right before it hits it's target.  Any thoughts I'd be able to time this just right?  

Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726466 by Nikon Shooter
If you understand that there is no real difference between an
arrow in your hand and one flying, then go for the simple way:
hang the arrow with fishing line and position to your liking.

Very minimal of editing will do the final touch.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726467 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

Sure, the arrow is shot on white paper so to get the shadow
as well… can be use on the target, Have a good time! :P

Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726491 by TCav
If you REALLY want to capture an arrow mid-flight, use a powerful flash on full power. The a powerful flash on full power will create a very short duration flash (as quick as 1/80,000 second) which will capture the arrow mid-flight. Using a fast shutter speed (1/8000 second or so) just won't cut it.

Timing, however, can be a problem.

2 years 6 months ago #726493 by Nikon Shooter

TCav wrote: If you REALLY want to capture an arrow mid-flight, use a powerful flash on full power. The a powerful flash on full power will create a very short duration flash (as quick as 1/80,000 second) which will capture the arrow mid-flight. Using a fast shutter speed (1/8000 second or so) just won't cut it.

Not really, it's the other way around…
the weaker the flash output, the shorter its duration.

Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726494 by Nikon Shooter
Addendum 2

Shooting, as suggested, a static arrow, one can eventually
play with the apparent blur in a pixel editor.

Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726495 by TCav

Nikon Shooter wrote: the weaker the flash output, the shorter its duration.

The intent is to project as may photons as possible in as short a time as possible.

Using a weaker setting would require a longer duration flash in order to project the same number of photons as a stronger setting.

(The shutter speed is irrelevant, since the flash will freeze the motion, not the shutter.)

2 years 6 months ago #726503 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day TCav

Sorry mate - NS has got it the correct way about
A flash starts off at 100% then 50% then 25% then ... and so on and the light reduction also comes about via a shortened exposure time. Thus full flash can be 1/1000sec with 50% at 1/2000 then 1/4000 then 1/8000 ~ sort of thing

Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 6 months ago #726514 by TCav
I stand corrected.

I apologize.

2 years 6 months ago #726517 by Nikon Shooter

TCav wrote: I stand corrected. I apologize.

No need to, body… sometimes things get tricky. And then there
is HSS on top of that!

Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #726608 by Sanford
Just use a trigger with motion sensor that triggers shutter 

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #726677 by Nikon Shooter

Sanford wrote: Just use a trigger with motion sensor that triggers shutter 

That implies that the trajectory is perfectly controlled and the speed
absolutely constant at all shots… too many variables in my book.

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #726751 by Don Granger
Get one of those  Miops Camera Triggers

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #726753 by Nikon Shooter

Don Granger wrote: Get one of those  Miops Camera Triggers

I got that, inappropriate for the task.

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #726759 by TCav
My guess, backed by much research, is that catching the perfect composition of a fast moving object is rare. The advantage you have with your situation is that you can try again until you get what you want, a luxury that the typical sports/action/wildlife photographer doesn't have. I suggest that you keep trying with Continuous Shooting as fast as your flash can handle (with a tripod and remote shutter release), until you get what you want.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024