How much do you pay a photography assistant?

2 years 5 months ago #727464 by Photo Junky
I'm sure there are a ton of moving parts to this, but I'm going to ask regardless.  How much are you paying this person?  How much work are you having them do?  

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727483 by Nikon Shooter
There are two kinds of assistants: the shooters and the non shooters,
and I pay them equally. Both are critically important in their respective
roles and MUST be reliable.

If you want a precise price, then it will be the same as I pay myself. Of
course, as the producer and the leader, I have an extra cut but basically
all are important to the success of a session.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727524 by Photo Junky
This is for a non shooter, I should have clarified that.  But you'll pay this person the same as someone you hired to shoot?  

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727532 by Nikon Shooter
Would you consider hiring a bony, weak fellow to carry you gear
and possibly damage something?

I hire two guys alternatively. Both are strong, fast, tall, and sharp
minded… I learned to trust them. They are worth every penny of it.

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727554 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day PJ

Look around at others ... ie-
what does the washing machine repair fella charge per hour? ...
how much do -you- like to be paid per hour for whatever you do?

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 5 months ago #727558 by icepics
Try ASMP or PPA for ideas/guidelines on contracts and determining pricing, etc. You might want to try to connect with other photographers in your area to share resources. ASMP used to have a Find an Assistant feature, not sure if it's still on their site.

Sharon
Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727559 by Nikon Shooter
When I need someone, it is now and I don't want to lose time negotiating.

I will need a driver for image hunting and a reliable guy to do what my legs
do not permit anymore. Sometimes, I'll ask for a younger sister to patient-
ly hold a reflector, a diffusor and what not.

Assistants should be happy to work with you and have fun as well.

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727626 by No Show
For basic work, $15 per hour 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #727692 by Photo Amigo
I'm still a beginner, so don't have an assistant.  But I can share with you that last year, I was hired to be another photographers assistant, where I was paid $20 per hour cash.  No taking photos, just holding lights and props and such.  

2 years 5 months ago #727926 by Garbo
$17.50 per hour, but all they do is carry stuff and hold props for me.  No photos.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #728144 by James L
Free, it's my wife!  

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #728173 by Photo Junky

Nikon Shooter wrote: Would you consider hiring a bony, weak fellow to carry you gear
and possibly damage something?

I hire two guys alternatively. Both are strong, fast, tall, and sharp
minded… I learned to trust them. They are worth every penny of it.

Course not, so what are you paying?

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #728174 by Photo Junky
*Thank you!

Photo Comments
2 years 5 months ago #728176 by Nikon Shooter

Garbo wrote: $17.50 per hour, but all they do is carry stuff and hold props for me.  No photos.  

:thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024