Can canvas print be made waterproof?

1 week 3 days ago #730395 by ShutterGuy
My wife wants canvas prints around our outdoor dining room.  This area is open to outdoor elements including rain.  My wife doesn't want metal prints, and wants the "canvas print" look.  So can a canvas be made waterproof?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 2 days ago #730422 by Brody Kross
Place the canvas with serious UV coating in a shadow box to protect against elements?  

1 week 2 days ago #730455 by Todd Floyd
I'm sure it could if you coat it with resin.  I'd go with a metal print. 

Photo Comments

1 week 19 hours ago #730522 by Chester Foster
I'm sure it could, but seriously doubt it will still have the 'canvas look'.  I would look at other print styles like metal or acrylic as these are closer to waterproof and all you need to fuss about is UV protectant.  

1 week 15 hours ago #730533 by CharleyL
"So can a canvas be made waterproof?"

Not totally. If not directly out in the Weather and rain, the biggest problem will be Sun fading. There are sprays that will reduce the fading. There is also UV rated glass, but all glass does a pretty good job of reducing UV. High humidity will also get into the canvas fibers out doors, even if not out in the rain. Again, there are clear sprays that you can use to reduce the problem, but not eliminate it. If spraying, I would spray both sides of the canvas, being certain to cover the ends of the canvas as well as both the front and back. When dry, hopefully it will extend the life of the canvas considerably. Make certain to keep the original files, so that if they do decay you can print more.
Krylon makes a clear IR spray that does a pretty good job of "reducing" the Sun's UV Rays. It does resist water too, but I'm not certain for how long. It does go on quite thin and is not glossy. I have no exact experience with your problem, so experimenting to see what works best would certainly be worth doing.

Charley

5 days 19 hours ago #730577 by Chris Briggs
:agree:  with Charley on this one, good post 

Photo Comments

1 day 5 hours ago #730861 by Stanly
Agree, not totally, but you can get it close.  Frankly I would just go the metal or acrylic route as mentioned already.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many excellent used Sony cameras that you can choose from. The question is, which one is best? Check out this buyer's guide to find out!

Jan 19, 2022

Not sure how to hang a photo? Use this quick beginner's guide to get some great tips for making your photos look great on your wall.

Jan 14, 2022

There are many types of cameras used for photography, from small point-and-shoot cameras to full frame professional mirrorless. Learn what type of camera might be best for you!

Jan 13, 2022

Creating beautiful landscape photography requires planning, the right gear, and, of course, skill. Learn more about capturing beautiful landscapes in this guide.

Jan 12, 2022

The RØDE VideoMic GO II is here, and it's packed with features that make it an ideal audio option for new, intermediate, and advanced videographers.

Jan 11, 2022

There are many different choices for the best camera for product photography. Consult this guide to learn about some of the very best options.

Jan 11, 2022

Do you need some quality Nikon camera gear but don't want to break the bank? Check out these inexpensive Nikon accessories!

Jan 11, 2022

Not sure what the camera lens hood purpose is? In this guide, we'll dive deep into all things camera lens hood so you understand why they are a good investment.

Jan 07, 2022