Preserving Prints

1 week 20 hours ago #737754 by Paul Velasco
Morning PT, prints that you are putting behind glass, what are you spraying or doing to them to preserve them?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 20 hours ago #737761 by Nikon Shooter
All there is to do is to keep it away from sunlight!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 days 21 hours ago #737834 by Brody Kross
Isn't there a spray for this?

5 days 20 hours ago #737844 by Brody Kross
Isn't there a spray for this?

5 days 18 hours ago #737846 by CharleyL
This is the one that I have used. It does help, but I wouldn't expect it to be the best answer.

amazon.com/Krylon-K01305-Coatings-11-Ounce-UV-Resistant/dp/B00397STRW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J3VPUNIZURTJ&keywords=uv+protectant+spray&qid=1652720474&sprefix=uv+protectant+spray%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-3

Search Amazon for UV protectant sprays and you will find many, but this is the only one that I have any experience with and haven't used it in about 20 years.YMMV.

Charley

3 days 21 hours ago #737946 by Zach Mosher

CharleyL wrote: This is the one that I have used. It does help, but I wouldn't expect it to be the best answer.

amazon.com/Krylon-K01305-Coatings-11-Ounce-UV-Resistant/dp/B00397STRW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J3VPUNIZURTJ&keywords=uv+protectant+spray&qid=1652720474&sprefix=uv+protectant+spray%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-3

Search Amazon for UV protectant sprays and you will find many, but this is the only one that I have any experience with and haven't used it in about 20 years.YMMV.

Charley

Hey Charley, I'll jump in on this thread, have you tried this stuff yourself?

Photo Comments

2 days 13 hours ago #738012 by CharleyL
"Hey Charley, I'll jump in on this thread, have you tried this stuff yourself?"

I used it about 20 years ago, when digital photo printer ink was far from UV Proof.
It made a considerable difference in the reduction of print fading. I had a photo on my office wall that I sprayed 1/2 and left the other half unsprayed. In 6 months of only air and office fluorescent light, the unsprayed half showed considerable fading. This is the spray that I used back then, and although the manufacturer may have changed the contents over the past 20 years, it worked well back then and still does for me now. 20 years ago I had a photo retouch business, doing mostly work for others, where I was sending back CD's of the finished work and not printing them. Whenever I had walk-in customers and I needed to print for them, I sprayed all of the prints with this, and I still spray prints that I want to keep from fading for as long as possible, even though the new photo inks of today are significantly improved.

Framing prints with glass covering, especially when the glass is special UV Protectant Glass, should help too, although all glass offers some UV protection, it is still no guarantee that the glass covered photo will last without fading if Sunlight and air can get to it. @Nikon Shooter's method is the best guarantee to keep prints from fading.   Unfortunately, the photos can't be viewed and enjoyed while stored this way. 

I think we are doing far better at prolonging photos today than we did just a generation or two ago. Go back and look at your parents and grandparents photos, if any still exist. A lot of my walk-in retouch work involved repairing and restoring precious photos of long gone relatives of my customers.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure what to give someone as a photography gift? Why not a personalized photo book? Check these great options out!

May 19, 2022

Having the skills to take portraits is essential to your success. Buy you also need the right portrait photography gear to help you bring your vision to life.

May 18, 2022

The best wedding photography gear is functional and utilitarian, but also looks good. This leather lens bag ticks all those boxes!

May 17, 2022

If you're in the market for the best used 4K camera, use this guide to compare three top options from Fuji, Sony, and Canon.

May 17, 2022

An acrylic print vs canvas - which one should you get? Use this guide to learn a few questions and considerations to help you decide.

May 16, 2022

Portrait and landscape photography are obviously different, but your approach in planning photoshoots shares many similarities.

May 11, 2022

There are plenty of used Sony mirrorless camera options. Which one is best for your needs? Use this guide to find out!

May 11, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022