Ownership of photos of people who are deceased?

1 year 11 months ago #738269 by Eliffman
Let's say you have photos that your father took of Marilyn Monroe (example), who is obviously deceased, and your father gives you these photos.  Just to be clear, he took these photos.  Would you own the rights to these photos?  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #738271 by Screamin Scott
Did he have a model release? I believe you would still need that for commercial purposes. If no commercial use, it wouldn't matter.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #738272 by TCav
Personalities usually have the rights to their image or likeness, however they are obtained, and upon their demise, their estate maintains those rights.

Case in point: A local restaurant called itself "W.C.Fields and Friends" and included a caricature of W. C. Fields in the logo. The estate of W. C. Fields sued and won, so the restaurant paid damages and changed the name to "W.C.and Friends" along with the caricature. The estate of W. C. Fields sued again and won, so the restaurant paid damages and changed the name to "Just Friends" along with the caricature. The estate of W. C. Fields sued a third time and won, so the restaurant paid damages and dropped the caricature.

It's now a 'Five Guys'.

1 year 10 months ago #738319 by Chris Briggs
Interesting, never thought about this 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738324 by Esseff

Screamin Scott wrote: ... you would still need that for commercial purposes. If no commercial use, it wouldn't matter.

Interesting.

I recently started a new photo series. I found some photos of my town (from 100+ years ago) and managed to find the locations and take a 'now' photo from the same angle. The plan is to create a collage of an old photo with the corresponding new photo. The old photos I downloaded from a site that claim they own copyright too. I have written and asked for permission to use the old photos but not gotten a response.

I assume from Scott's post that I can use them regardless if only posted to, say, Instagram and Facebook for non-commercial reasons...

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #738349 by TCav

Esseff wrote: I assume from Scott's post that I can use them regardless if only posted to, say, Instagram and Facebook for non-commercial reasons...

Nope. It could be argued that they serve to publicize your commercial endeavor, even if you don't derive income from them directly.

1 year 10 months ago #738369 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Eliffman + SF

As I understand it ... the Copyright LEGISLATION states that the 'copyright of the work remains with the author for 50 yrs AFTER their death'. Obviously meaning that the estate of the deceased still controls the operation / activities / usage / of the work

For your example above - you would be well advised to locate the author (if possible) and in the absence of success there, to obtain written agreement with whomever has the images for you to use them for your desired purpose along with full acknowledgement of their 'ownership'

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 10 months ago #738391 by icepics
What Scott says sounds right for the US; depends on your/anyone's country.

You should be able to re-create or use photos as 'inspiration' I think, but I'd be careful about posting/sharing pictures that don't belong to you (you aren't the owner of the copyright).

I rarely post my photos online and if anyone steals one you can be sure I'll do something about it. At the very least a DMCA take down notice. They'd be stealing my crative work - years of hard work, my talent/ability, etc. They can use their own photos; not mine, without my permission or compensating usage. I could contract usage if I wanted, I just don't want to do it (unless someone is offering me enough money to make it worthwhile!). I don't need the work!

So you're probably fine sharing your own photos, and maybe link to someplace where those photos have been made available publicly that others could view them (if that's an option). Take a look at Terms & Conditions on any site you're using and think about what you want to share on it. Some to me allow others to use your photos so I don't post much if any on a site that allows that (incl. social media).

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738506 by Silver Fox
So, let me toss another scenario into this, if your father is deceased as well, and you don't have model release, only know he took the photo, would that change anything?  

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #738566 by Ozzie_Traveller

Silver Fox wrote: So, let me toss another scenario into this, if your father is deceased as well, and you don't have model release, only know he took the photo, would that change anything?  

G'day SF

As I said above - the LEGISLATION regarding copyright (which by the way is almost identical around the western world) clearly says that the copyright remains with the author after their death.  The legal follow-on from this is that the copyright author's estate then holds the legal rights to the work.  Think about Ansel Adams' images for example - now published by his estate, now a business paying taxes

So for your father-son scenario, you would receive the legal copyright for your father's works

Phil

1 year 10 months ago #738668 by Ian Stone
But how would he proof that was his fathers work? 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738675 by icepics
Depends on usage. To share/show to relatives, that's editorial use I think and should be fine to share. On social media?? I don't know... depends on who it is, if they'd want a relative's photo posted online. If in doubt, maybe ask a relative/family member first.

Read terms on social media before putting someone else's photos on a site (and your own for that matter, or the site may be able to use your photos or allows others to use your photos without permission/notification).

Editorial use also includes newspapers, magazines, etc. where releases may not be needed but may be requested depending on the media outlet.

For anything commercial or money making you'd need releases. Try ASMP for more info. If you intend to do anything more than share you'd need to learn about licensing usage, although that doesn't seem like what you intend to do.

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738812 by Garbo
Good information, honestly had no clue on this one

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738962 by Uplander
Wait, you all sure on this?  If the photo was passed on in someone’s Estate, you own the photo.  You don’t need to prove anything.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024