When flight attendant wants to check your camera bag below plane?

1 year 3 months ago #747833 by Sawyer
I just arrived back in town from a quick business trip and had a flight attendant want to place my camera bag below the plane because there was no overhead bin space.  It took a bit of back and forth for them to finally understand that this bag was going to go down there and that I had sensitive camera gear.  But what a pain!  You would think common sense would kick in when they learned what was in the bag.  But no.  

They can't make you place your camera bag below the plane can they?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #747835 by CharleyL
Small commuter size planes have critical weight/balance calculations that must be adhered to for safe take-off and flight. Sometimes they will even ask certain large individuals to trade seats with lighter weight individuals to get these calculations correct. The storage of any cargo has to be positioned this way too, but for carry-on in a commuter plane it is usually "who arrives first". When there is no more space for it, these items need to be stored where it will fit or left behind. If this storage place is unacceptable to you, you and your carry-on can always take the next flight.

An airplane isn't like a car, where the excess can be put anywhere or tied on the roof. Smaller private size airplanes have even more delicate weight/balance requirements. Larger pilots, when flying small two passenger airplanes with one seat behind the other, frequently need to fly the plane from the rear seat when they are flying alone. Proper weight/balance is the reason for this.

My oldest son and I once owned a Piper Cherokee Arrow, a 4 seat single engine airplane with a small cargo space behind the rear seat. If the four seats were occupied, the cargo space frequently could not be used. If it was used and the cargo was significant in weight, the calculated weight/balance of the plane made it unsafe to fly. It was that critical. We flew much of the Eastern States of the USA with that plane. 

Charley 

1 year 3 months ago #747836 by TCav
If it fits under the seat in front of you, you can carry it on.

Did it?

1 year 3 months ago #747841 by Sawyer
Thank you all, and yes, the bag would have fit under the seat.  It wasn't a commuter plane, it was a 737. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #747862 by No Show
The few times I've been asked to check my bag, as soon as I let them know I have camera gear in the bag, they have been very understanding. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #747941 by Richard Taylor
More reasons to make sure you underpack what you bring on board the plane

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749034 by Overread
Professionally resist as long as I can explaining the delicate electronics and value in the bag. 

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749037 by TCav

1 year 1 month ago #749294 by Stanly
I plan ahead and make sure I'm not put into that position

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749295 by Stanly

TCav wrote:

LOL I remember that incident, $3000 vs millions in losses.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749318 by CharleyL
"It wasn't a commuter plane, it was a 737."

This made me assume that you were talking about a commuter plane. Many have add-on belly compartments for additional luggage, and are what I would call "below the plane". You were talking about "below the passenger deck", not below the plane.

Ask for the right thing and you will get a better answer to your question.

Charley

1 year 3 weeks ago #750230 by James F
Carry on Bag never is that big to pull attention from flight crew.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024