Second shooter I hired reached out to MY client

1 year 1 month ago #749935 by MYoung
I just found out today that a second shooter I hired to work with me on a wedding in December reached out to my client today and solicited them for their business.  Any ideas on how to handle this?  

I'm a bit upset over this and trying to think of best way to handle.  

Any sort of help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749938 by Razky

MYoung wrote: I just found out today that a second shooter I hired to work with me on a wedding in December reached out to my client today and solicited them for their business. Any ideas on how to handle this?

What kind of contracts do you have with your client and the second shooter you hired?

1 year 1 month ago #749972 by Meskill

Razky wrote:

MYoung wrote: I just found out today that a second shooter I hired to work with me on a wedding in December reached out to my client today and solicited them for their business. Any ideas on how to handle this?

What kind of contracts do you have with your client and the second shooter you hired?

:agree:  I would be curious on the language used in your contract.

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #750037 by Little Kate
Regardless what is in your contract, that is messed up if you want my 2 cents.  If you are working for someone, don't try to poach their client when their back is turned. 

Photo Comments
1 year 4 weeks ago #750059 by Chris Briggs
Agree, that is over the line in my book.  In contract or not, there are so many reasons why this isn't right.  I'd be ticked off too. 

Photo Comments
1 year 4 weeks ago #750066 by MYoung
I don't have my contract in front of me, but it does state that the hired photographer (2nd shooter) is not permitted to have solicitation communications with my clients that they may be exposed too.  So it's in there.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 weeks ago #750196 by CharleyL
I think it's time to get a lawyer involved. Do you have a signed contracts with the wedding party and 2nd shooter? If they go with him, it's a breach of contract with you. 2nd shooter needs to be fired for breach of contract too. Find someone else for 2nd shooter.

Charley

1 year 4 weeks ago #750233 by Cory J

CharleyL wrote: I think it's time to get a lawyer involved. Do you have a signed contracts with the wedding party and 2nd shooter? If they go with him, it's a breach of contract with you. 2nd shooter needs to be fired for breach of contract too. Find someone else for 2nd shooter.

Charley

:agree: Charley nailed it on the head and my thoughts too, get an attorney involved.  If nothing else at least look at your contract.  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750286 by KZAM
What an @$$.  Yeah, I would 100% speak with lawyer and review A to Z. 

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750293 by Ava00
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened - that's definitely not okay. As someone who runs a business, I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with breaches of trust like this.

The first thing to do is talk to the second shooter and see what's going on. Maybe there's a good explanation for their behavior. You should definitely express your disappointment and frustration, but also be open to hearing their side of the story.

Depending on what you learn from them, you might need to let them go and find someone else to work with. It's always hard to make tough decisions like that, but at the end of the day, your clients need to be able to trust you and your team.
I like that you plan to talk to your client about the situation - that shows you're committed to building strong relationships with them. It's important to reassure them that their privacy and trust in your work are top priorities. By doing so, you can turn a difficult situation into an opportunity to strengthen your connection with your client.

Moving forward, it might be worth considering adding some language to your contracts around situations like this. For example, you could make it clear that second shooters can't try to solicit business from your clients. That can help protect you from future problems and make your working relationships even more solid.
Overall, it's important to handle this professionally and with integrity. By focusing on what's best for your clients and your business, you'll come out on top.

1 year 3 weeks ago #750339 by Fess Walker
:agree:  well said 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024