Iceland photography workshop - best time of year

6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #757406 by Roy Wilson
Man, Iceland is such a wild place! I mean, it's like you've stepped onto another planet, with all the geysers, waterfalls, and volcanic landscapes. I've talked to a few guests on my podcast who've been there, and it seems like a transformative experience.

So, when to go? Look, it depends on what you're after. If you wanna catch those mesmerizing Northern Lights, winter months, especially from September to March, are your best bet. It's colder, days are shorter, but the skies, man... it's something else.

But if you're looking for longer daylight hours and milder weather, summer – from June to August – might be the way to go. It's also the prime time for puffin watching. Have you seen those birds? They're trippy! And you'll also get to explore the highlands, which are usually inaccessible during winter.

That being said, remember Iceland's weather is unpredictable. It's like a box of chocolates – you never know what you're gonna get. Just be prepared for all kinds of weather, pack accordingly, and you'll have a blast.

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
6 months 5 days ago #757408 by Inez Villarin
It's Iceland, there is no bad time up there.  If you going on all inclusive workshop, just make sure you understand what is included and what isn't.  Ask questions ahead of time.  Ask me how I know :angry:

Photo Comments
6 months 5 days ago #757420 by Steve Zahra
Summer would likely be fun there.  But for me, the ice caves are bad ass, I hope to experience during next couple years. 

Photo Comments
6 months 4 days ago #757507 by Amy Porter
I'd go when the least number of tourist are going to be there!

Photo Comments
6 months 3 days ago #757543 by Roman Omell

Moe wrote:

Razky wrote:

Fess Walker wrote: We are sitting around the breakfast table this morning and thinking about doing an Iceland trip this year. Curious though, when is the best time of the year for Iceland? I see people going year round, but is there a 'best time' to go?

What have the folks who do Iceland workshops said?

I think that’s why he’s asking.

Ha!  I was going to say the same thing.   :rofl:

Photo Comments
6 months 1 day ago #757608 by Sawyer
Can you see any black beaches during winter months?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 months 3 weeks ago #757960 by Prago
We head there Feb 21st next year.  Should be incredible timing.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758213 by Miss Polly
Hasn’t Iceland gotten taken over my tourist in the last number of years?  I would go to Greenland or Norway first. 

Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758296 by Street Shark
Check out 'Inspirational Photo - Nov 12' here.  Iceland beauty! 

Photo Comments
5 months 1 week ago #758561 by Frisco
IMO, any time of the year.  That country is just so scenic.  They have a volcano that is giving them grief so not sure how things are in certain areas right now.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
5 months 4 days ago #758686 by Ontherocks
Do you need special license to drive a car in Iceland?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024