How long until your main camera gets replaced with a NEW?

6 months 3 days ago #757523 by Toby J
My Nikon D800 I've owned for 10+ years and I keep it because it works as it was intended and it does a very good job.  Now there are other cameras I could buy and I can afford, but why bother if what I have does what I need?  A good friend of mine who I will call 'Rick' who isn't made of money, and isn't such a professional that would warrant swapping cameras out so often changes his cameras nearly each year.  He states this is "normal", which we joke back and forth where I say it's not.  He comment to me yesterday "Post a question on a photo community, explain why you are asking a question and see how many step up and admit they do what I do.".  So that is what I'm doing, am I the outier or is my friends justifications?  

Photo Comments
6 months 3 days ago #757526 by CharleyL
I don't have a "set schedule" for buying my next new camera, but thinking back since going digital I have bought a new camera on the average of about every 4-5 years. Ten years for a camera age today is like ancient history. Digital photography technology has been advancing very rapidly in the last 25 years.  Back in the later years of film technology, a 10 year old film camera was still a relatively modern camera, since new camera technology for film cameras wasn't advancing at the rapid rate that digital cameras are today.

All three of my 3 present "better" digital cameras are less than 5 years old, with one of them  purchased less than a year ago. A fourth is about 8 years old, still works perfectly, but is hardly ever used anymore. 

Charley

6 months 3 days ago #757535 by TCav
I have no plans to replace any of my cameras.

And considering that my dSLRs don't have direct replacements, I'd have to go mirrorless, which means I'd have to replace my lenses as well, and I'm not a fan of that. (I understand about adapters, but they come with some significant sacrifices that I'm not prepared to make.)

6 months 2 days ago #757545 by Ian Stone
Yeah, I'm the same.  I make sure I get my monies worth out of everything I purchase, so I'll use something till it doesn't work and then most of the time I'll replace what broke.  

Photo Comments
6 months 9 hours ago #757640 by Sawyer
Same here, I’m not going to get anything till I really need.  Heck I still have cameras that are over 10 years old.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 months 4 weeks ago #757716 by Conner
Yeah not till it breaks or doesn't work as I need it too

Photo Comments
5 months 4 weeks ago #757734 by Brody Kross
When I have the $$ and need a replacement.  I don't have money to throw around if no need.  

5 months 3 weeks ago #757836 by Roy Wilson
If I don’t need it because of a camera failing, I will save my $$ for things I do need.  Unless the camera is a relic and it’s just ‘time’.  

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
5 months 3 weeks ago #757958 by Prago
With things where they are and have been, I don't buy unless something is broken

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758109 by MM Images
I don't understand, unless you have $$ coming out of the walls.  Buy or upgrade only when needed.  

Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758158 by Ivy Winchell
I don't even buy a new iPhone till what I have is near not working.  Camera is the same for me.  IMO cameras are so under used for what they are capable of.  So even 5 or 10+ year old cameras are extremely effective tools for getting out there and taking amazing photos.  

Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758173 by LensofNature
I fully agree with you, Ivy. I'm quite content with my Canon Rebel T7 (to which I "upgraded" from a Rebel T6 despite much feedback that it is beginner/lower quality). As one photography instructor said, the best camera is the one you have with you. Sometimes we get caught up in buying technology for the sake of technology. However, I find that the higher the number/variety of features, the more risk of things going wrong and the increased likelihood that customers will avoid using them out of fear/lack of confidence in their ability to master these features.

5 months 2 weeks ago #758228 by Frost Photography
+1 (echo) on what was already said.  Not till my existing camera dies.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758304 by Raymond Z
Man I buy only when I REALLY need something and have comfortable $$ in the old bank

Photo Comments
5 months 1 week ago #758394 by TedReichner
Maybe every 10 years or so.  No set time, it's when ever I really need something or my camera breaks OR I come across a deal to good to pass.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024