Northern Lights in Fairbanks Alaska?

7 months 4 weeks ago #758777 by KENT MELTON
Quick question for you all.  Getting Northern Lights in Alaska this time of the year, specifically in Fairbanks.  How far outside of the city lights do you need to go in order to view? 

Photo Comments
7 months 4 weeks ago #758782 by KZAM
10 minutes drive, its not a big city

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
7 months 4 weeks ago - 7 months 4 weeks ago #758786 by Greg Friedman
2023 has been an exceptional year for solar activity, with sunspot observations increasing dramatically since the end of 2022. This uptick in solar activity is significantly influencing the Northern Lights. In fact, the next 18 months are expected to bring the most intense Northern Lights activity seen in the last two decades. The lights are likely to be visible more frequently and from more locations around the world than usual​​.

The Solar Cycle 25 Prediction Panel, backed by NASA and NOAA, initially predicted a below-average year for solar activity. However, recent models have indicated that the solar activity could be much higher than anticipated. The activity is expected to continue rising until fall 2024, aligning with the peak period for the Northern Lights​​.

The mechanics behind this are fascinating. Sunspots, which are cooler, highly magnetic areas on the sun, create space weather phenomena like coronal mass ejections. These events send particles across the 94 million miles to Earth, where they interact with our planet's magnetic field to create the Northern Lights. The extra solar activity has already expanded the range where the lights can be seen, with sightings as far south as Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Arizona this year​​.

Additionally, seasonal factors like the autumnal and spring equinoxes can enhance the visibility of the Northern Lights. During these times, the Earth's magnetic field aligns in a way that makes it more susceptible to solar particles, increasing the chances of seeing the aurora at lower latitudes​​.

For photographers in Fairbanks, this means that the chances of capturing stunning aurora displays are higher than usual. It's an excellent opportunity to venture outside the city lights and witness this natural spectacle in its full glory. Remember, though the aurora can be unpredictable, patience and persistence, along with keeping an eye on aurora forecasts, will increase your chances of a successful photo session. Happy shooting!

Photo Comments
7 months 4 weeks ago #758840 by ShutterGuy
Don't forget your tripod.  A good friend of mine flew up to Alaska last winter on a photography workshop he was doing up there.  He had to borrow a tripod from another person because he left his home.  This is still a fun joke with him today!  

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #758889 by Howard Swanson
Whats funny is Fairbanks isn't as big as many think.  It's a smaller city and really doesn't take long to escape the city lights.  

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #758892 by Monica Lafforgue

7 months 3 weeks ago #758927 by Scuba Mike
Article on Yahoo this morning talking about huge solar flare today that should impact northern lights all over 

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #758950 by Kenya See
I could only wish to see them where i live!  

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #759076 by Owen
With all the solar activity happening right now, I bet ititss insane up there! 

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #759116 by EOS_Fan
Huge hole in the sun that is creating massive solar activity, so northern lights are supposed to be incredible

Photo Comments
7 months 2 weeks ago #759217 by Fitch
You had me curious about this and I found this good video: 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024