What is the biggest camera sensor you own?

1 month 1 week ago #762416 by I shoot RAW
I saw someone else's post here relating to camera sensor and it reminded me of another discussion I had a couple weeks ago with a friend.  Some time ago, it seemed most people had APS C cameras, well at least most of the people I knew.  These days it seems most people have full frame cameras.  

Random, being nosey question: what is the biggest camera sensor you own?  

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762419 by TCav
Tie:
Nikon D7200 (APS-C)
Pentax KP (APS-C)
Sony A77 II (APS-C)

'Full Frame' bodies really have only a few advantages over 'APS-C' bodies, and they're not that significant.

'APS-C' bodies have several advantages over 'Full Frame' bodies, not the least of which is price.

1 month 6 days ago #762464 by db3348
Full-frame Canon 5D

Photo Comments
1 month 6 days ago #762465 by Shadowfixer1
m43
1 month 3 days ago #762529 by H Rocky
Full Frame Canon 5D III

Photo Comments
1 month 1 day ago #762578 by Roger Lang
Full frame and what ever is in my iPhone

Photo Comments
1 month 1 day ago #762615 by CharleyL
I think it's my Canon 90D  at 34 megapixels

Charley

4 weeks 1 day ago #762689 by Sawyer
So all things considering, is there any need for medium format cameras these days considering how large sensors and resolution is in recent full frames? 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
4 weeks 1 day ago #762690 by Esseff
Sony A7Rv  FF  61mp

4 weeks 21 hours ago #762702 by TCav

Sawyer wrote: So all things considering, is there any need for medium format cameras these days considering how large sensors and resolution is in recent full frames? 

Every argument for 'Full Frame' over Medium Format is also an argument for APS-C over 'Full Frame'.

Every argument for 'Full Frame' over APS-C is also an argument for Medium Format over 'Full Frame'.

4 weeks 18 hours ago #762705 by Esseff

TCav wrote: 'Full Frame' bodies really have only a few advantages over 'APS-C' bodies, and they're not that significant.

'APS-C' bodies have several advantages over 'Full Frame' bodies, not the least of which is price.

Not a believer of this idea that APS-C is better than FF. As a tool to create photos I think the FF sensor offers much more.

4 weeks 9 hours ago #762709 by TCav

Esseff wrote: Not a believer of this idea that APS-C is better than FF. As a tool to create photos I think the FF sensor offers much more.

I never said that APS-C is better than 'Full Frame'.

What I said was that the advantages 'Full Frame' has over APS-C are not very significant, and the advantages APS-C has over 'Full Frame' are.

If you absolutely, positively must have the slightly lower noise and the slightly better dynamic range that 'Full Frame' has to offer, and can choose from the limited number of lenses that can provide the image quality 'Full Frame' requires, then have at it. But be prepared to pay though the nose for it.

4 weeks 5 hours ago #762719 by Esseff

TCav wrote:

Esseff wrote: If you absolutely, positively must have the slightly lower noise and the slightly better dynamic range that 'Full Frame' has to offer, and can choose from the limited number of lenses that can provide the image quality 'Full Frame' requires, then have at it. But be prepared to pay though the nose for it.

New tech is going to be more expensive. Better tech is going to be more expensive. Sadly that's unavoidable. And if you're not using Canon RF then there are many lenses to choose from.

3 weeks 5 days ago #762770 by Ian Stone
I have what ever my phone is, GoPro 11, APS-C and of course one full frame

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024