When photographers blame the camera

3 weeks 6 days ago #762856 by Norse Photographer
What do you say to photographers who blame the camera for not getting good photos?  There are two people in our photograph club that are constantly blaming their cameras for not getting "good photos".  One of them has a Nikon Z6 and the other guy has a Panasonic GH6.  Both are very nice cameras.  Just curious, will you tell them to consider the problems are because of them, or just leave it be?  

I'm not close friends with either, but half of me thinks "someone should tell them" and other half of me things It will be perceived as pompous.   

How would you respond to such people?

3 weeks 6 days ago #762869 by TCav
Basic troubleshooting.

Reset the camera, and set EVERYTHING to AUTO. Take some simple, basic photos in good light. If all is well, change one thing, taking some more simple, basic photos in good light. If all is still well, change one other thing, etc., etc., etc.

3 weeks 5 days ago #762878 by CharleyL
From a similar experience, my advice is to leave them alone. They seem like the "know everything" type and nothing you say will be accepted. Let them go spend more and more money on every new camera that comes out. Maybe they will figure it out some day, but not now and not from you.

There are three of that type in my photography club and I watch and listen to them, but offer no help. They are stuck in "transmit", so they can't receive what you or anyone else tells them. They think they know it all, so why should they listen to anyone else. I log it in my brain as "comedy act entertainment", probably never to be remembered again.

Charley

3 weeks 4 days ago #762912 by KENT MELTON
Some people just don’t get it and are a good example of don’t feed the animals

Photo Comments
3 weeks 4 days ago #762926 by Otto F
People like that are delusional and will always point the finger elsewhere.   

Photo Comments
3 weeks 2 days ago #762965 by Pete Franko
Sounds a lot like my brother.  Seriously.  Whats funny is a number of years ago, i did try to speak with him about certain fundamentals and it was in one ear and out the other.   He's also one of those people that when a new camera comes to market, he has to be the first to get it.  So fast forward, he has had a couple new cameras and to this day, I hear how his camera screws up, and why something about his photo is messed up. :rofl:

Photo Comments
3 weeks 1 day ago #763044 by Carlos
My camera didn't take good photos of the eclipse yesterday.  Oh wait, I wasn't even near it. :rofl:

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
3 weeks 1 hour ago #763076 by Dana Leeson
So is that like "the dog ate my homework" when we were kids?  :rofl:

Photo Comments
2 weeks 4 days ago #763181 by Ira Weber
These are also the same people who blame others and circumstances for their shortcomings in life.  I'm pretty sure there is a clinical term that describes this mental shortcoming.  

Photo Comments
2 weeks 4 days ago #763198 by Conner
OMG we are talking about my sister here! With family, she is tolerated and you let it go in one ear and out the other.  She will never change, so we don't even attempt. 

Photo Comments
2 weeks 1 day ago #763283 by Carry
But it IS the cameras fault :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 week 5 days ago #763408 by KenMan
Honestly, this was me when I first got started.  I had people tell me, it wasn’t the camera, it was my understanding of photography.  I didn’t listen.  It was nearly 2 years before I would finally wake up.  Thankfully now, I’m doing what I can to always make my work better, and how that happens is from reading, watching and knowing there is always something new to learn.  

Photo Comments
1 week 4 days ago #763429 by EOS Man
Narcissist have some serious mental problems.  What these people need is therapist help.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024