White skies?

13 years 3 months ago #32879 by cindy lou
I think this is probably a simple question for someone with alot more knowledge of photography than me. So, here goes. Why do my skies always come out white? The sky can be any color of pretty blue to my eye, but in my photos they're always white. How come? What am I doing wrong?

13 years 3 months ago #32893 by Joves
What you are seeing is haze if you look hard enough you will see that the blue sky has some white to it near the horizon at times. But you are also most likely exposing off the foreground as well. This will cause the sky to over expose but the problem is if you compensate for it using the sky to meter the subject will be dark. First are you using a Circular Polarizer? If not get one you can dial it in thil the sky gets bluer, but dont go nuts on it because then the sky will look too blue and artifical. Try metering at a point near the sky but not in it then use that for the subject, you will get close to a happy medium there.

13 years 3 months ago #32897 by Baydream

Joves wrote: What you are seeing is haze if you look hard enough you will see that the blue sky has some white to it near the horizon at times. But you are also most likely exposing off the foreground as well. This will cause the sky to over expose but the problem is if you compensate for it using the sky to meter the subject will be dark. First are you using a Circular Polarizer? If not get one you can dial it in thil the sky gets bluer, but dont go nuts on it because then the sky will look too blue and artifical. Try metering at a point near the sky but not in it then use that for the subject, you will get close to a happy medium there.

:agree: :goodpost:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #32900 by Happy-pixel
You could always try a neutral density graduated filter, meter off the foreground then slide the filter on with the dark side at or above the horizon.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #32962 by crystal
The sky could be over expose. The camera is exposing for your darks/shadows which in return will brighten your sky.
13 years 3 months ago #32963 by crystal

Joves wrote: What you are seeing is haze if you look hard enough you will see that the blue sky has some white to it near the horizon at times. But you are also most likely exposing off the foreground as well. This will cause the sky to over expose but the problem is if you compensate for it using the sky to meter the subject will be dark. First are you using a Circular Polarizer? If not get one you can dial it in thil the sky gets bluer, but dont go nuts on it because then the sky will look too blue and artifical. Try metering at a point near the sky but not in it then use that for the subject, you will get close to a happy medium there.

:agree:
13 years 2 months ago #36318 by greenaway
It sounds like you may be exposing for the foreground which, if darker than the sky (it generally is) will overexpose the sky. What camera are you using and in what mode. Double check your camera settings. Don't be afraid to experiment.

13 years 2 months ago #36323 by cindy lou
I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XSi. There is a setting on the camera called "white balance". Will that help?

13 years 2 months ago #36325 by chasrich
I'm guessing here... I think a UV filter might help. Fill flash might be the answer in some cases. Try these things in addition to the sage advice given above.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #36327 by Scotty

cindy lou wrote: I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XSi. There is a setting on the camera called "white balance". Will that help?

White balance is a standard that controls your color set. White balance makes your whites white.

It's a matter of exposure. Under expose a shot and you'll see your sky will be normal and full of color.

The above users have offered great solutions.

GND's, Polarizers and knowing what time of the day to shoot are vital.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #36328 by Baydream

cindy lou wrote: I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel XSi. There is a setting on the camera called "white balance". Will that help?

Not really. White Balance is for when you have unusual lighting conditions. (It shoot an XSI). Aim your camera slightly towards the sky to let mere light in (closes down the aperture) and press the shutter halfway. When aim at your subject and press the rest of the way. Experiment with this at a couple of angle. You will see a difference. As noted above, a circular polarizer filter will help also.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #36342 by chasrich
If your camera is set to spot expose on a center point you might switch over to a exposure mode that will average the entire frame or perhaps strike a median with a weighted exposure taking the average and then lean towards the center spot.

John said... When aim at your subject and press the rest of the way. Experiment with this at a couple of angle. You will see a difference. - Great tip John. I taught this to the wife some time ago. :cheer:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago #37022 by NormC
The automatic setting on your camera is probably your best bet to stick with right now.

Keep in mind that the human eye is capable of reading both the very light, very bright portions of a scene as well as the very dark areas. Digital sensors don't yet have the same 'dynamic range' as your eyes, so the camera generally isn't able to record many of the details in the very bright areas and a lot of the shaded areas come out black. You can learn how to manually set your camera to offset alot of these problems, it does take some time and practice.

13 years 2 months ago #37967 by spiders
Cindy, it's not a silly question at all, but a very common one. It's an easy one to fix once you understand why it's happening.

Your camera light meter reads the light bounding off the subject. Because different subjects return different amounts of light, the camera tries to average it all out; the results are often not what the photographer wanted.

If you really want to understand this, I would suggest doing some reading, especially about "reflected" meter readings (those taking by the camera) and "incident" memter readisng (those determined by a separate meter.)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024