I have a Canon Rebel XSI and looking for Extra Lens but NEEDS Help..

13 years 2 months ago #36449 by LovePhotography
Hi All,

I love Photography and I am just getting started in it but would LOVE to know the difference between the lenses and what is best -

and what I can get for around 150-200?

Anything good.

13 years 2 months ago #36452 by Yasko
I'm assuming you have a kit lens already with your xsi?

My suggestion would be to get an EF 50mm f1.8 lens. Better colors and sharpness and will allow you shoot in lower light conditions than a kit lens. A very decent walk-around and portrait lens to start out with.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LovePhotography
13 years 2 months ago #36454 by crystal
Very little can you buy around $150-200. Like Yasko said... 50mm.
13 years 2 months ago #36455 by LovePhotography
And I can get one of those for about the price range?? And is there a better maker? Canon, Sigma?

Thanks for helping..

13 years 2 months ago #36457 by LovePhotography
Does this have IS or OS?? I would want that feature right???

I am looking at a SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Lens

Which one is BETTER???

13 years 2 months ago #36459 by Yasko
Yup, the 50mm f1.8 is only around 130 dollars. It fits the price range you stated.

Sigma makes a better 50mm, but it's around 500 dollars. I think the Canon is the best bang for the buck when it comes to modern 50mm lenses to fit your camera at the price range you mentioned.

13 years 2 months ago #36461 by Yasko

LovePhotography wrote: Does this have IS or OS?? I would want that feature right???

I am looking at a SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Lens

Which one is BETTER???

I've heard good things about the new sigma 18-50, but if you currently have an 18-55mm kit lens, I wouldn't bother. Canon kit lenses focus plenty fast, and image stabilization isn't a big issue in an 18-55mm lens. I'd still go for a 50mm f1.8, or save your bucks and spring for something even better

13 years 2 months ago #36464 by LovePhotography
so you are saying that the IS or OS (Sigma) Is not that important -
what came with my camera was a 75-300 lens.

I also got a zoom lens but forgot what that was.

So now which one is best??

13 years 2 months ago #36472 by LovePhotography
So that is the best for something else to get? RIght now I have a 75-300 that came with the lens and it has IS and I got a zoom lens with IS but do not remember the length.

What are you thoughts on IS or OS (Sigma)

13 years 2 months ago #36489 by crystal
LovePhotography, do you know what IS or OS mean? You are including them in your replies as if you have no idea what you are talking about.

IS - Image Stablilization used with Canon
OS - Optical Stabilizer used with Sigma
VR - Vibration Reduction used with Nikon

They all are the same, just different words with different companies.

When using a telephoto handheld, it's better to have the IS, OS or VR.
In the end, it's better to have a tripod, but when you can not use a tripod the above is the next best...instead of not having it at all.

IS, OS, VR isn't a big deal with small lenses. 50mm, 18-55 etc.. because you should be able to hand hold those lenses without a problem on focusing on your subject.
13 years 2 months ago #36523 by LovePhotography
yes I do know what they mean - I have two canon lens with IS on them and I know that OS is Sigma version of it.

I was looking for a new lens - Right now I have a 75-300 that came with my XSi and a zoom that I got for about 400.00 and now is looking for another lens
to try with

that is why I don't want to spend a ton of money on it - and I am not sure which lens to get - that is why I was asking .. about 150.00 is what i want to spend .

I have NO Clue on lens so that is why I was asking what the next good lens would be and stuff..

Thanks.

13 years 2 months ago #36541 by Yasko
What's the second zoom you got? the one for 400 dollars?

13 years 2 months ago #36543 by LovePhotography
I don't remember but it was a good one from canon - it was around 400.00 - I can try to find out and let you know later..

13 years 2 months ago #36623 by Baydream
I have the 18-55mmIS and 70-300mm IS for my Canons. I also bought a 50mm /1.8 and it is very handy (it is NOT a zoom lens nor is it IS) but a 50mm IS is not as important. At just over $100 it is a great buy.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #36732 by LovePhotography
Might I ask where you got it??? As I would be interested in getting one myself..

thanks..

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024