Do you push yourself? How?

13 years 1 month ago #37343 by big ears
Let me throw this out for possible discussion.

Do you push yourself to become a better photographer? How?

13 years 1 month ago #37356 by Baydream
Shoot as often as possible. At my club meetings, especially in the States, every other month is devoted to having professionals critique our work (3-4 pieces per session). The more critical the evaluator is, the more I can push myself in the right direction. (Glad all 120 members don't submit 3 shots for eval every month or the meetings might last until the following week).

A special section on the forum for people to present a photo and get an HONEST critique would be a big plus. Those that are unsure should not post to that section. We have had a few and the comments were very enlightening.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37366 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot pro hockey games sometimes 3-4 games per week and have to push myself a lot when I am tired. It takes a lot to do three hours of shooting then all of the editing plus story writing. So I have to do it whether i feel good or bad. I find that pushing myself on those tired nights at the end of a four game series I look harder for the best shots and sometimes get them.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37400 by effron

big ears wrote: Let me throw this out for possible discussion.

Do you push yourself to become a better photographer? How?

Hell no. Whenever I push my self, I fall down. I'm at the age now, for example when I photograph a flower, I take the time to smell it.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37478 by Foxy Girl
Get out as much as I can and always reading some book and asking questions.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37485 by Solstar
I do it by shooting as many different subjects and in different conditions. I just ran into it the other night when all the light in the room was a neon sign. It wasn't anywhere near enough for a properly exposed photo so I exposed for the light I could get and got some interesting results--photography by suggestion really.

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37488 by alley
Rob, I have four boys that would love to have your job!!! How exciting that must be. What's your favorite team?? It wouldn't be the Pittsburgh Penquins would it?

13 years 1 month ago #37494 by Rob pix4u2
Habs fan and their dreaded enemy Maple Leafs. I'm still shooting in the ECHL as that is my assignment at www.prohockeynews.com to cover the Cincinnati Cyclones and the North Division teams( Toledo, Kalamazoo,and Wheeling) and whoever I draw at playoff time. I've been lucky enough to photograph the last 3 out of 4 Kelly Cup Finals series winners 2007-Idaho,2008-Cincinnati and 2010-Cincinnati.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37513 by Joves
I push myself in everything I do. Dont know why but I have always been that way, I guess there was a switch thrown in me when I was born.

13 years 1 month ago #37613 by Jeffster
If you want to get any where these days, you need to push yourself. Keep practicing and reading as much as you can on photography. Go to workshops!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37640 by chasrich
I got tired after this weekend. I took the Grandson out on the boat for sunrise shooting and fishing. All afternoon we did some local tourist stuff. The next day we took the boat again on a photo safari so he could learn more on his new camera. By now I'm getting tired and wanting an afternoon nap... Instead we went to Sea World for the day. I'm still passing through the 1200 images that trip yielded (groan). By now I am pretty much friend both mentally and from a sunburn perspective. I will do this again in a few days in an effort to really cover Bikefest. I expect to go early all four days and stay late for some night shots of the events. For that I need to be in good shape and have a good tan base for all the sun. My intention is to get better shots than I did last year.

I'm learning just what the new gear can do... but there is still more to practice on. Leesburg Bike fest is April 7-10th this year. Time is growing shorter so I better push it. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37782 by crystal
Yes and no. I mean, I love what I shoot, but I don't need to push myself to get better. If there is something I want to learn, I just do it. I don't need to encourage myself to learn how to shoot something or to go out to shoot.....I just do it. :)
13 years 1 month ago #37970 by spiders
Take risks! Do you have an idea for something? Afraid it might not work? So try anyway. What's the worst that can happen - you have to delete a memory card. Oh, my. :woohoo:

Experiment and if it doesn't work at first, keep trying until you get a photo that satisfies you. Don't be surprised if you suddently find yourself going off in an entirely new direction - don't fight it. Go with it and have fun.

13 years 1 month ago #38417 by Stealthy Ninja
Resist the urge!
13 years 1 month ago #38494 by ArtWagner

chasrich wrote: I got tired after this weekend. I took the Grandson out on the boat for sunrise shooting and fishing. All afternoon we did some local tourist stuff. The next day we took the boat again on a photo safari so he could learn more on his new camera. By now I'm getting tired and wanting an afternoon nap... Instead we went to Sea World for the day. I'm still passing through the 1200 images that trip yielded (groan). By now I am pretty much friend both mentally and from a sunburn perspective. I will do this again in a few days in an effort to really cover Bikefest. I expect to go early all four days and stay late for some night shots of the events. For that I need to be in good shape and have a good tan base for all the sun. My intention is to get better shots than I did last year.

I'm learning just what the new gear can do... but there is still more to practice on. Leesburg Bike fest is April 7-10th this year. Time is growing shorter so I better push it. :woohoo:

That bike is :drool: Always enjoy a nice looking bike!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024