Definition of a SNAPSHOT?

13 years 1 month ago #39963 by Rob pix4u2
shot was a snapshot, spur of the moment thing.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #40016 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Here's my take on it. A snapshot is a photograph that is not planned or set up. It is like a snap comment, it may be terrible or it may be a masterpiece. Same thing for snap decisions. Happy accidents do happen, be they comments or snapshots.

So war photographers/journalists/travel photographers only take snapshots?! lol

according to some online dictionary thingy:
"an informal photograph taken with a simple camera"

So I think that's the point. It's not a serious photograph. Nothing to do with the time planning or whatever, it's about the intent of the photographer.

If you're good enough a spur of the moment shot is never a snapshot.
13 years 1 month ago #40080 by Zafonia
I was told by a photographer close to where we live that if someone called your work a "snapshot" its was meaning that your work was a total dissapointment and it was a big slap in the face....
13 years 1 month ago #40140 by Stealthy Ninja

Zafonia wrote: I was told by a photographer close to where we live that if someone called your work a "snapshot" its was meaning that your work was a total dissapointment and it was a big slap in the face....

That's the connotation yeh.

It can also be a way of showing false humility.

Guy: OH MY! THAT"S TEH MOSTEST BEST PHOTO EVA!

Ansel Adams: Ah it's just a snapshot.

GUY: KTHXBAI!
13 years 1 month ago #40172 by Cre8tivefix
For me I would say a snap shot is something I take not expecting or looking for good results, No set up or plan, where I don't ask for the cooperation of the subjects, but take it rather to capture the moment.

Things like pictures of my son in his school play. I'm so far away with so many heads in my way, the lighting is horrible, no real zoom, but I take the pictures anyway so he'll be able to see them later. I snap away.

Sometimes there are gems in the mix, but they weren't the original intent of my taking the pictures.

13 years 1 month ago #40182 by Baydream

Cre8tivefix wrote: For me I would say a snap shot is something I take not expecting or looking for good results, No set up or plan, where I don't ask for the cooperation of the subjects, but take it rather to capture the moment.

Things like pictures of my son in his school play. I'm so far away with so many heads in my way, the lighting is horrible, no real zoom, but I take the pictures anyway so he'll be able to see them later. I snap away.

Sometimes there are gems in the mix, but they weren't the original intent of my taking the pictures.

:agree:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #40186 by Stealthy Ninja
I think people are confusing verbs and nouns.

Taking a snapshot = not planning on taking something good.

A Snapshot (noun) is a crappy shot.

Is how I see it.

So you can do photography at the spur of the moment without planning (ie you come across something on the street and pull out your camera). Technically you're taking "snapshots" because you didn't plan it. BUT if you have the skills most of your shots will be good/great and NOT snapshots

Geddit?!
13 years 1 month ago #40239 by Rob pix4u2
I agree with Stealthy on this one because capturing an image is sometimes spur of the moment but the skill with which it is captured shines through

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago #40252 by chasrich
:goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #40258 by Cre8tivefix
I get what you are saying. I just disagree. Because I can take a shot spur of the moment and it can be more than a snap shot because of the why and how of it. But at the time of taking it I will know it's more than a snapshot. I will take it because that spur of the moment image is striking and should be captured. A moment like that I wouldn't consider a snap shot. I would consider it photography and then end result a photo.

But pictures of a kid opening a birthday present when you know it's not a great shot, but to capture the time. I consider that a snap shot and the end result to be a snap shot (just a flash in time). You do it just because. And if you're really good. It will be a good snap shot, but still just a snap shot and not some great work of art.

It's just a matter of opinion for me.

PS. I don't consider "snapshot" to be an insult. I have seen some truely epic snapshots.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024