WOW! Bad times

13 years 2 months ago #38581 by Photo Junky
Just got off the phone with B&H ordering some goodies and rep was telling me that many of the camera's they normally sell are not in stock, he was saying lenses are getting that way also and that it could be months before manufactures get things going again!

That is WOW to me :(

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38582 by Baydream
With the latest "low inventory" stocking methods of many stores now, an event like the earthquake has a much more immediate effect.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38597 by Photo Junky

Baydream wrote: With the latest "low inventory" stocking methods of many stores now, an event like the earthquake has a much more immediate effect.

I agree, hope the industry and people from Japan recover quickly!

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38703 by Hamtastic
I bet both used and new prices will be going up during next month or so. Especially if production is delayed for a year as some are forecasting.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38727 by Stealthy Ninja
This is more about B&H business style than an actual shortage perhaps.

We have enough here by the looks of things in the shops. D7000 for example is easy to get here.
13 years 2 months ago #38804 by 56SN0
That sucks.

13 years 2 months ago #38822 by crystal
Well, I know at least with the D7000, it's was out of stock before the whole Japan issue.
13 years 2 months ago #38890 by dawg254
There may be a shortage of electronics since much of it does come from Japan. However, I'm inclined to think it may also be another trick my retailers to raise their prices. It's a common tactic when there's any excuse whatsoever to get another few bucks out of everybody.

13 years 2 months ago #38921 by Joves

dawg254 wrote: There may be a shortage of electronics since much of it does come from Japan. However, I'm inclined to think it may also be another trick my retailers to raise their prices. It's a common tactic when there's any excuse whatsoever to get another few bucks out of everybody.

I dont think it is so much that as the e-talilers much like the brick&mortar retailers are keeping stocks low until the economy shows real improvement. They dont want to be caught with alot of inventory incase of another slide. I know I would do that myself. Keeping everything liquid is smart business sense. I do think we have yet to see the worst because there has been no real change in the conditions that brought the first crash. Until the finacial sector goes back to good sound fundamentals we are sitting on a razors edge.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024