How much to charge for a kids birthday party?

13 years 1 month ago #40563 by YUP Design
So like, all my friends have kids, all different ages. My friends are starting to ask me to photograph the birthday parties, but how much do I charge?

13 years 1 month ago #40565 by village rat
I would charge $125 and put it on a cd and give it to them. Of course I would also ask for model releases in case there were any shots which might make good stock.

13 years 1 month ago #40566 by YUP Design
$125.00 .. thats as much as it costs for the party its self. I think they'll opt just to not have it done at all. and you might say well fine no skin off your back.... but like i said their friends so im gonna have to be there anyway. i dont want to do it for nothing... but i would mind making a buck for being there. i will give them a cd. so my material cost is just the cd.

13 years 1 month ago #40567 by Kris4pics
Since you plan on being there anyways, just charge them for the CD.

13 years 1 month ago #40569 by crystal
I have shot my nephews birthday parties. It's not as easy as you think. It can be fun at times, but to make sure you get in the right spot at the right time isn't always easy. I didn't charge my sister anything, except the one time she did pay for all the prints she wanted. I shot 400 pictures of the party, she took about 100.
13 years 1 month ago #40571 by village rat

YUP Design wrote: $125.00 .. thats as much as it costs for the party its self. I think they'll opt just to not have it done at all. and you might say well fine no skin off your back.... but like i said their friends so im gonna have to be there anyway. i dont want to do it for nothing... but i would mind making a buck for being there. i will give them a cd. so my material cost is just the cd.

Well then, charge them 10 cents. That's about the price of a decent CD. But seriously, if you come here asking us what we'd charge, we're going to tell you a pro price. To get a CD full of professional, digital photographs for $125 with free rights to print as many as you want is a steal.

13 years 1 month ago #40572 by YUP Design
I already did a freebie for her i took pics for a contest she wanted to submit her sons pic to. so i think i should charge her something.. right?

13 years 1 month ago #40574 by effron
Like well, just have them pay you what they like want. Like I for one wouldn't touch a birthday party for $125.00 friend or not. Best of luck......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40578 by crystal
Yes, charge her something. Once people get something for free, they always want it for free. then when you decide to charge to complain. Start charging now.

BTW, $125 IMO is ok, heck it could be higher. It's your time shooting, it's your time to do any PP, and I hope at least resize the image to high resolution...not burn full resolution. You never want to give away a full size original photo. Not unless you are making good money.
13 years 1 month ago #40580 by YUP Design

effron wrote: Like well, just have them pay you what they like want. Like I for one wouldn't touch a birthday party for $125.00 friend or not. Best of luck......

Well I have a feeling my friend won't pay me anything at all, if I let it up to her.

13 years 1 month ago #40581 by crystal

effron wrote: Like well, just have them pay you what they like want. Like I for one wouldn't touch a birthday party for $125.00 friend or not. Best of luck......

:agree: Although i did photograph my nephews partys for free, I will not photograph anyone else's party, not even if they paid me.
13 years 1 month ago #40584 by chasrich
Find out what a professional in your area would do the job for. Tell her you can discount from that. Ask them to make you an offer if it makes you more comfortable.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #41280 by L Hetter
I just love kids birthday parties. They are so much fun. I have taken pictures for some of my friends. I just give them the CD for $20.

13 years 1 month ago #41305 by Baydream
No less than $7 million. Just kidding. If you did it for free, everyone would want the same deal.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024