How did newspapers used to print pictures?

13 years 3 weeks ago #40621 by April photos
Before computers existed (think 1980's and before) how did newspapers and magazines mass-produce photographs?

If I understand traditional newsprint correctly, werent all of the letters on a interchangeable metal plate?

13 years 3 weeks ago #40679 by Baydream
The negatives were exposed onto a treated metal plate through a kind of screen that produced a series of large and small dots. Those "dots" made up the black and gray-looking areas. Then the plate was processed with acid and leaves those dots (just like the letters). This pattern is called a half-tone. Ink is wiped placed on the plate and then contacted to the paper where the paper absorbs the ink.

Newspaper photos are still printed with the "dots" today (look at a photo with a magnifying glass. Color photos are made up of red, blue and green "dots".

On newsprint, the dots are fairly large since the ink dries by being exposed to air. Magazines are done the same way but the dots are much smaller since the drying process is done with heat (sort of like passing it through a small oven).

Look very closely at newspaper and magazine photos. They are printed by what looks like an ink jet printer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #40683 by bfchris
A long, long time ago I worked at a newspaper as a graphic artist, and remember the camera guy shooting pasteups or cutouts w/acetone strips. I still love halftone patterns.

is working your interwebs.
13 years 3 weeks ago #40684 by bfchris
it's kindof like an LP over CD. Some still prefer LP's for that rich, full sound. I still think sometimes, the "old school" way of doing things is the best.

is working your interwebs.
13 years 3 weeks ago #40686 by cooltouch
Baydream's got it right, and if you look at the color photos in magazine's you'll also notice that they are typically done in circular patterns. Moire, or something like that?

As for your question about plates, yes that's what they did. It was called moveable type, and that's what typesetters did. They set the type. I suppose a skilled typesetter was probably just as good at reading backward as forward, eh?

About 20 years ago, I bought a lens from a guy who worked for a small, regional weekly newspaper. Came to his office to buy the lens, and he showed me around. He showed me how they set the type and instead of moveable type, it was done by computer and output to a machine that created a plastic sheet in which all the type and half-tones were vacuformed onto its surface. Then this plastic sheet was inserted into the press and inked, and they were ready to print. The sheets were just discarded afterward, I suppose, just being thin pieces of plastic and all. As for how it's done now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still similar to this same process I saw being used 20 years ago. It's probably still cheaper and ultimately a lot faster than trying to use laser printers or the like for the same job.

13 years 3 weeks ago #40687 by Baydream

bfchris wrote: A long, long time ago I worked at a newspaper as a graphic artist, and remember the camera guy shooting pasteups or cutouts w/acetone strips. I still love halftone patterns.

I too was a graphic artist in the early 70's. We had the halftones made and the type was produced from punched paper tape. The page was then "pasted up" using hot wax before the plate was made for the entire page. I don't miss that part of it. :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024