Can a memory card be used in 2 different camera bodies with out formating it?

13 years 1 month ago #41859 by Patty Ganahl
Would you need to reformat a memory card to use it in another camera? For example if you took the memory card form one D300 and placed in another D300. Would that work right or would there be chance of data corrupted? Do these cameras reformat the EXACT same in each camera?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #41862 by Baydream
Good question. I have accidentally used an SD card from my Panasonic P&S (after deleting the images) in my Canon XSi without any issues at all.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #41866 by arkady001
Even if you don't reformat, the camera will simply write an additional directory on the card as part of it's start-up procedure...
It takes up a small amount of space. Theoretically if you had enough bodies (thousands) you'd eventually run out of space on the card for images.
I always reformat when i put the cards in my cameras, that way it doesn't matter which body (I have three) I use them in...

13 years 1 month ago #41868 by Baydream

arkady001 wrote: Even if you don't reformat, the camera will simply write an additional directory on the card as part of it's start-up procedure...
It takes up a small amount of space. Theoretically if you had enough bodies (thousands) you'd eventually run out of space on the card for images.
I always reformat when i put the cards in my cameras, that way it doesn't matter which body (I have three) I use them in...

:goodpost: as usual. Thank you.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #41869 by Stealthy Ninja
I remember back in the days of tapes in video cameras it wasn't good to mix different kinds of tapes because they used different lubricants.
13 years 1 month ago #41876 by Patty Ganahl
You guys are great. :judge: I bring this up as I was reading about someone who accidentally used one memory card in another camera and it caused problems that ultimately ended up in the original photos being corrupt and unable to download.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #41925 by Scuba Mike
I'm sorry, but how would putting a memory card in the SAME model camera make any difference? Aren't these things made exactly the same?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #41930 by crystal
Yes, I know this for a fact. At times my husband may forget his extra card and I will give him one of my cards. We have also gave my father a card that we have been using. My MIL had bought an 8 gig for one specific use, decided not to use it afterwards and now I am using it. All cards never been reformatted, and they worked just fine in the other cameras.
13 years 4 weeks ago #41993 by Joves

Scuba Mike wrote: I'm sorry, but how would putting a memory card in the SAME model camera make any difference? Aren't these things made exactly the same?

Most of the time when people are using two of the same model they are setup totally different so the card will save the differences in the settings on a startup.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024