Just curious....

13 years 1 month ago #42234 by Kevinallway
What camera and lens set up would be equivalent to what the human eye sees?

13 years 1 month ago #42237 by effron
It hasn't been invented yet..........

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #42267 by Skinny431
I think 50mm, but I'm not sure.

13 years 1 month ago #42317 by Baydream

Skinny431 wrote: I think 50mm, but I'm not sure.

Correct on a film or full frame digital. On a crop sensor (APS) that would be a 35mm for 1:1. Of course, you lose peripheral vision.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #42320 by Joves

Baydream wrote:

Skinny431 wrote: I think 50mm, but I'm not sure.

Correct on a film or full frame digital. On a crop sensor (APS) that would be a 35mm for 1:1. Of course, you lose peripheral vision.

Exactly! :agree:
The 50mm is the old kit lens of the past and the original live view. :lol:
Problem with the crop sensors is you cant really get that but, I guess they do make the DX 50mm now, I wouldnt know because the only DX lens I have is the 10.5 fisheye, the rest of mine are film lenses.

13 years 1 month ago #42513 by Yasko
A dual full frame setup with 50mm lenses set around 65mm apart and a processor with AI advanced enough to perceive a sense of stereoscopic depth. Better yet, the same thing with dual lenses around 12mm each for a horozontal FOV of approximately 120 degrees each, with perfect rectilinear distortion correction to include peripherial vision.

Until that gets invented, a nifty fifty will do

13 years 1 month ago #42644 by effron
A Tim Grey excerpt........

The key issues here are angle of view and perspective, and I think the easiest way for me to answer this question is to say that there really isn't a definitive answer. That's because there are quite a large number of variables, and considerable differences between a digital sensor (or film for that matter) and the human visual system.

Generally speaking, the guideline is to think of a 50mm focal length as having the same field of view as the human visual system. This, of course, is based on a 35mm format. For a digital SLR, that means what is often referred to as a 1:1 or "full frame" image sensor. If you're using a digital camera with a different size image sensor, the equivalent focal length will be different. For example, for a camera with a 1.6X factor for field of view (often referred to now as a cropping factor) the equivalent would be about a 30mm focal length.

Of course, this is messy right from the start, because it turns out not to be all that easy to define the field of view of the human visual system. The 50mm focal length is an approximate match for the area of sharp focus for the human visual system. The actual field of view of the human eye is closer to about a 22mm focal length. And again, these focal lengths are based on a 35mm SLR format.

Your reference to a longer lens as well as a wider angle is obviously contradictory, and that relates to your perspective. As you can imagine based on the above info, the perspective you perceive with your eyes versus the camera is different. This is in some ways an illusion, since the perspective is really a matter of distances from key subjects in the frame. But again, there are many variables that affect the perception of the scene. And don't forget that quite often our position relative to the subject is quite a bit different from the position of the image sensor in the camera.

This is somewhat related to the issue of dynamic range and depth of field. Many perceive the human visual system as having a very high dynamic range and a very deep depth of field. That's actually not the case at all. The reality is that our vision has a relatively low dynamic range and narrow depth of field, but we perceive both as being greater than they are because our eyes are able to adjust so quickly both in terms of focus and eposure.

That said, as a general rule you can think of a 50mm focal length (based on 35mm format) as being equivalent to what we generally perceive our field of view to be, and about a 22mm focal length as being the equivalent to what we would observe our field of view to be if we really concentrate and try to figure out just how wide our actual field of view is.

Now, wasn't that easy?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #42649 by chasrich
SNAP!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024