I see alot of talk about the 50mm

13 years 1 month ago #42950 by D Thompson
So i see ALOT of people recommend the 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 . Can someone post some sample photos using the above mentioned lens. Since there is no zoom, they require being closer to an object, do they have manual focus or auto only?

13 years 1 month ago #42951 by bcap fish
It's not strictly the case that a fixed length of 50mm requires that you be closer to the subject... it requires that you be closer than if you were using a longer lens (above 50mm). And by the same token it requires that you be further away than if you were using a wider lens (below 50mm). Basically it means you have to do more walking around than if using a zoom. Try taking a zoom (kit lens?), and leaving it at 50mm to get an idea of the focal length.

The 50mm can be used with either auto or manual focus just like any other lens.

13 years 1 month ago #42952 by D Thompson
So I could just use my kit lens at 50mm all the time when ever I want to shoot at 50mm? I don't even have to bother buying a 50mm lens right?

13 years 1 month ago #42953 by bcap fish
Well the 50mm lens will be the faster lens, which is the point in buying it.

13 years 1 month ago #42966 by chasrich
:agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #42968 by crystal
Although I have the 50mm, I couldn't find the last photo I took with it. lol
13 years 1 month ago #43052 by McBeth Photography
I started a group for the nifty-fifty shooters here on Photographytalk.com called "life around 50mm" a little while ago....Here is a link to the groups album below, PS always looking for new members and photos!

www.photographytalk.com/photography-comm...?albumid=1&groupid=1

It is what it is.
13 years 1 month ago #43057 by Hamtastic

crystal wrote: Although I have the 50mm, I couldn't find the last photo I took with it. lol

I was thinking the same thing! Almost tempted to get out my 50mm and shoot a few shots! :banana:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #43109 by Cre8tivefix
I took this one on Sunday. I guess I was about 3 feet away. Mine is a 50mm F1.8

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #43114 by Baydream
Here are a couple of shots taken with my Canon 50mm f1.8 under very different conditions.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #43116 by FMVPhotography

Well the 50mm lens will be the faster lens, which is the point in buying it.

Exactly. Yes you could use your zoom at 50mm but I'm guessing the widest aperture you'll get is about f/5 from a kit lens - my Nikkor 18-105mm shoots about that at 50mm, but what you are not taking into account is the speed of a prime (ie the amount of light entering the camera). I'm not sure what you shoot but for low light situations where flash is inappropriate such as wedding ceremonies or new baby location shoots in dark houses the 50mm (mine's the 1.4G Nikkor) is invaluable to me.

I used the 50mm for these shots in a limited light room (one window). It allows you to shoot at 1/60th sec or above without upping your ISO too high and creating noise

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #43121 by FMVPhotography
or wedding details in an often dark environment....

My kit lens would have demanded flash for these shots, which can ruin the ambiance!

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #43123 by Stealthy Ninja
Most of you have crop bodies so a 50mm is getting close to the traditional 85mm "portrait" length.

On a FF it'll give you a "normal" look (ie the perspective it gives is like what you see in real life).
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography
13 years 1 month ago #43131 by FMVPhotography
Oh yeah, good point Stealthy, 85mm unless full frame. 50mm on 35mm film is meant to give yo the same focal range as the human eye can see. I won't lie, it feels restricting at first - especially if you are used to have vesitility of a wider zoom, but for all the points I said above a great purchase.

13 years 1 month ago #43133 by Jeffster
I like that B&W wedding shot FMV, nice work.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMVPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024