published but no credit

13 years 2 weeks ago #45279 by BowlingQ
How would you feel if one your photos were published in a small magazine, but they gave you no credit? I have seen many magazines who do not give the photographers credit, why is that? Is it because it was a staff photographer? or did the magazine buy the photo via a stock agency?

13 years 2 weeks ago #45282 by QC 89
At this point, it wouldn't bother me if I wouldn't get credit. I'm still learning, and I know my work isn't all that great but if some magazine wants the picture, and not give me credit, so be it. I know it's my picture and that's all that counts.

13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #45291 by Baydream
Probably staff photographers. Even then they should have the decency to attribute. Other wise they risk copyright suits. Not doing that is "Theft" de-legitimizes the publication.
I have had A photo published in several papers (Irish Moss Farming in the Northumberland Strait), and two in online versions (A lighthouse in Washington Post - attributed, and a dead whale in the Bay - unattributed). I will address the non-attribution this summer if they want to see more. :slapface:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #45427 by photobod
I think all photos should be attributed to the photographer its common decency, and if I saw any of my work published with no sign of my name I would be having serious words. :duel: :duel: :duel:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 weeks ago #45545 by ghunt64
I recently had pictures published in a local magazine.

www.invironmentsmag.com/rochelle/current_issue.html

I just spoke with the editor and they gave me credit for all of the photos in a one line credit. Its ok with me I donated the pictures of a local band and the magazine is a free publication. I was pretty happy to be published on the front page. I guess if they wanted to pay me for the pictures I wouldn't care if I got credit or not as long as the check didn't bounce.

I guess my point is if you submit pictures to be printed, then you should communicate to the editor what your expectations are. If then your wishes weren't met they there would be a reason for a grievance.

13 years 2 weeks ago #45571 by Joves
Well did you submit the photo to the magazine? Or did they grab it from somewhere? If you have your photos on one of the many Stock photo sites then the only one who profits is the site owners, they pay so little for the photos that I wont submit to one. Have you written the magazine and asked why you were not creditied/ There is one good site for submitting photos to as far as stock goes www.photographersdirect.com/ THere you have to be accepted first and second they get 20% from whatever you and the purchaser agree to, they are merely a middle man for the communications.

13 years 2 weeks ago #45840 by Rob pix4u2
I have never had a problem with attribution in being published even as a staff photographer at the hockey mag I work for.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 2 weeks ago #45855 by Strelle685
It's a great feeling to be publish, but it would also be nice to be credit for the work you have done.

13 years 2 weeks ago #46266 by Zardoz
With the surge of the digital age and the lack of decency some people just cut and paste with no regard for anything. I saw a food magazine that flat out lifted whole articles and pictures from other food pages and told people they were doing them a favor by getting them more exposure even though they were not credited.

I myself find it hard to believe that someone is going to make much money if any at all by what they call borrowing a shot of mine, as we all know it is not that easy to make a buck with out shutter mashing. It is the disrespect that hurts the most.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024