dark object + really bright background?

13 years 1 week ago #49621 by Cappy
Do I HAVE to use a flash?
I regularly shoot random pictures at the local skate park and almost everyone wears dark colored t-shirts. background either being the sky or some really reflective white cement on a bright and sunny day.
being a very fast paced sport, I get about a 20second notification before some guy does a trick. So I don't have much time to setup anything.

I want the object to be nice and bright without the background being crazy over exposed. how how how? I would like to get a external flash, but no money to afford one right now.

13 years 1 week ago #49622 by digital files
You might try using a polarizer. That should darken the sky somewhat, maybe enough for your needs. You might also try using exposrue compensation. That may not blow out the highlights quite so bad.

Maybe a combination of the two.

13 years 1 week ago #49623 by Zezzer
what about spot metering? ... or center metering?

13 years 1 week ago #49785 by Solstar
Definitely a tricky one...it's usually a compromise one way or the other. My best suggestion might be to try to move to a position where the kids are skating into the sun (not always possible) or as someone mentioned a bit of exposure compensation. I used a -2/3EV recently at an MMA fight where the first few shots had a balanced exposure (background & subject) but the guys skin was blowing out a bit and losing some of the muscle tone. The compensation meant I lost some background lighting but got better exposure on my subjects...which a the end of the day is usually the important bit.

13 years 1 week ago #49829 by Stealthy Ninja
Flash is best of course.

BUT, you COULD use a reflector. You don't even need to buy a good one, a piece of white styrofoam will do fine.
13 years 1 week ago #49845 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Flash is best of course.

BUT, you COULD use a reflector. You don't even need to buy a good one, a piece of white styrofoam will do fine.

:agree:

Good advice given in this thread

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago #49850 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote:

of course. :whistle:
13 years 1 week ago #49886 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Alex wrote:

of course. :whistle:

Just for you, :S

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #50058 by Henry Peach
A polarizing filter is going to block light evenly so that won't help. Exposure comp is also adjusting both background and subject exposure the same.

I like the reflector idea. You wear all white, or wrap yourself in tin foil, and as they get close you'll provide the reflected fill. :) I would think the bright concrete offers some fill?

There are processing options for lightening dark areas, but anything beyond minor adjustments tend to result in increased noise and posterization. You'll need to take some test shots, and look at the histogram to figure out what the best exposure is so that you don't lose too much detail on either end. On a sunny day it's going to be tough. On an overcast day, or early or late in the day it might not be so bad. Once you figure out the exposure it doesn't change unless the lighting does, so you can set the camera to manual and fire away.

Some sort of fill light, from flash or reflector, is the standard way for dealing with this problem. Even a pop-up flash could help, and then go the rest of the way in processing if it's not powerful enough.

Another option might be to get a cheap flash that only offers manual control. It's a bit trickier, but if you can keep the flash to subject distance (when you take the shot) close to the same, and the background lighting doesn't change, you will be able to figure out the settings in a test shot or two. With some practice you'll also figure out how to adjust flash power or aperture to deal with changing subject distance on the fly. Not too long ago this is the way we all had to do it. I'd memorize the settings for 5', 10' and 20', or something like that. Basically every doubling of the distance is 2 stops.
13 years 6 days ago #50448 by Graflex 4x5
Really think you're going to need a cheap flash to do what you want. Reflectors could be useful if you have an extra hand or two so you could track your subject.

You'll always find a use for an extra flash .... no matter how cheap it was. I'll use one with a trigger to help get rid of shadows the main flash causes or behind a wheel of a car to get rid of that 'dead' area between ground and under carriage .... You'll think of more uses as you go.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
13 years 3 days ago #51742 by nanhi
Shoot RAW. In that case you would have some leeway in post processing, as your darker subject can be corrected by 'fill lighting'. Just ensure you don't blow the highlights.
If you use a DSLR like the Pentax K20D / K-7 / K-5, you can invoke DR (Dynamic range) and get some decent shots.
A good cheap flash on ebay should cost you no more than $ 45 to 50. There is no substitute for one though. Use of a reflector mentioned above can mitigate your problem too.
I had hell shooting in an ice skating ring. The additional problem is the blue cast thrown up by ice.
Good luck.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago #52037 by Graflex 4x5

nanhi wrote: ...
I had hell shooting in an ice skating ring. The additional problem is the blue cast thrown up by ice.
Good luck.

Use outdoor cloudy setting for your auto white balance, or set your WB off the ice.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nanhi

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024