What are you doing with your old memory cards?

13 years 2 weeks ago #50244 by Rawley Photos
Let's talk about memory cards for a minute. I just bought a couple 32GB cards and have a couple 4 GB cards that I've had for a while. Will you keep your older smaller cards or do you toss them?

Speaking of cards, did you see that Sandisk has a 128GB compact flash card?? Seriously what in the world would you do with that much space?!

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #50248 by Baydream
I keep mine. I actually prefer the smaller ones (just in case). If you don't want them, check with the local high school. They may have a photo class and could use them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #50252 by chasrich
I have a library of 1GB and 2GB cards that contain slideshows for my digital frame. The subjects are grouped according to who might be coming to visit us. I'm looking at 32GB cards but have no clue as to what I'll do with the 8GB cards in use now.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 weeks ago #50309 by Stealthy Ninja
sharpen the edges and use them as shurikens.
13 years 2 weeks ago #50313 by crystal
I keep my old ones, actually I will never get anything bigger then an 8 gig.
13 years 2 weeks ago #50378 by effron
I have a few one, two and four gb cards, they get rotated and some use in my IR camera. I carry 4-eight gb and 2- twelve gb cards. Honestly, the eights stay in my cameras 99% of the time. I rarely get close to filling one.......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #50385 by photobod
I would never buy a 32 gb card as that would mean just about getting the majority of the a wedding on that one card, can you imagine me telling the bride and groom on there return from honeymoon, "sorry folks my card corrupted so there are no photos",, I am not sure which of them would get too me first but it would be in the form of a lioness and a lion both with claws and teeth showing, no thankyou, I will stick with my 4gb cards thankyou. :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 weeks ago #50468 by Conner
I usually keep them, you never know when you will need them.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #50510 by Ronald McD
I don't have any old cards, I have two 4 gig cards, which I use both of them. Even if I were to buy a bigger card, I would still use my 4 gigs when needed.

13 years 2 weeks ago #50512 by Ronald McD
How many pictures could one get on a 32 gig card? I know file size plays a part in it, but for the OP, the camera you are using, how many pictures can you get?

13 years 2 weeks ago #50669 by Man Of Mystery
I keep them, I don't throw away anything unless it's broken.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #50735 by Joves
I keep mine. I never use anything larger than 8 gigs anyhow. I have some older 1 gig cards I like to use when I am slowing myself down to film speed, the limited number of shot will do that for me.

13 years 2 weeks ago #50922 by Henry Peach
I still use some of my 2 and 4 gb cards in my IR converted 20D.

I've taken some of the 1 and 2gb cards and filled them full of pics of the kids for the grandparents' digital photo frames.
13 years 2 weeks ago #50924 by Henry Peach

photobod wrote: ...that would mean just about getting the majority of the a wedding on that one card, can you imagine me telling the bride and groom on there return from honeymoon, "sorry folks my card corrupted so there are no photos"

This just depends on where you think the danger is. I'm not as worried about the card being corrupted as I am about losing a card after it's removed from the camera, or even physically damaging damaging it removing it from the camera or after it's out. It's the old eggs a basket dilemma. Personally I think that the less I handle the card or cards the safer they are.
13 years 2 weeks ago #51024 by Frank The Tank

Ronald McD wrote: How many pictures could one get on a 32 gig card? I know file size plays a part in it, but for the OP, the camera you are using, how many pictures can you get?

That is going to depend on how you are saving the photos? RAW or JPEG

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024