The focusing features

13 years 3 days ago #51719 by Phil0
The focusing features of this camera / lens (17-85mm ) has been a bit confusing. I've been using AF mostly, but have toyed with the manual as well. Anyway, in the days of the point and shoot, I loved taking macro shots, and it was easily done. With this camera however, it seems that I can't get as close to things anymore, as if I get TOO close, the camera will NOT fire, at all. At that time, I have to back the camera away from the subject, and then it will shoot. Why is this??? Is it because it can't focus? If so, why can't it? What am I doing wrong? I'm able to get really close, don't get me wrong, but not as close as I used to could get, which was probably TOO close anyway, but I'm just really curious about the camera not firing, and why.

13 years 3 days ago #51723 by 4UThomas
All lenses have a min focusing distance and that is what you are running into. To shoot close up/macro shots, you will need a macro lens.

13 years 3 days ago #51730 by Rob pix4u2
You could try manual focus but I doubt that will work except to obtain a blurry image if you are closer than the minimum focusing distance, macro lens is the better solution for close focusing or a 50mm and a reversing ring

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 days ago #51735 by Phil0

Rob pix4u2 wrote: You could try manual focus but I doubt that will work except to obtain a blurry image if you are closer than the minimum focusing distance, macro lens is the better solution for close focusing or a 50mm and a reversing ring

Thanks Rob. I have tried manual focusing sometimes, but it always seem to focus on anything by the subject.

13 years 3 days ago #51853 by Baydream
Rob is, or course correct. Consider extension tubes. They mount between the camera and the body and let you get VERY close.
Your lens most likely has the focus limit stamped on it. For example, the Canon 70-300 has a tulip symbol (for close up) followed by 1.5m/4.9ft. That the limit for that particular lens without "help".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago #51865 by effron
The camera probably isn't allowing a shutter trip because you aren't achieving the correct focus. Put that puppy in full manual, and focus yourself. I rarely use af in macro photography......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago #51899 by Screamin Scott
Bear in mind that most DSLR's focus screens are designed to be used for auto focusing. They can be very difficult to focus manually due to the lack of a "fine" manual focus option like a split prism & the focus throw of most all AF lenses is very short, meaning it's hard to nail focus exactly, unlike older MF lenses that took a few turns to get from min to max focus points...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024