how did you get into photography

13 years 5 months ago #5566 by runningrebel10
What made you want to get into photography? For me it was being able to capture a priceless moment in time for someone to always remember even after the subject may have passed on

13 years 5 months ago #5573 by The Original Daisy
My father was a photographer or you can say it was one of his favorite hobbies.

13 years 5 months ago #5575 by Simon Says
I've always had a interest in camera's. I think I even have some old Polaroid, 110, and 35mm camera's in a box in the garage. I should dig them out one of these days and see if they are worth any money.

13 years 5 months ago #5577 by Solstar
For me it was finally finding an venue where I could ACTUALLY get the image out of my head and be able to share it. Painting, sculpting etc proved far too frustrating, where as with photography (and digital especially!) I was able to execute my visions or at least find out why I couldn't.

13 years 5 months ago #5581 by Moe
Most people I know had some sort of interest in photography, so it was always around me!

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5586 by Screamin Scott
Started with taking photos of friends & co-workers with an old Polaroid Land Camera back in 1968. Got a Minolta SRT101 SLR camera the next year so as to be able to have more choices...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5587 by Billy 9

Screamin Scott wrote: Started with taking photos of friends & co-workers with an old Polaroid Land Camera back in 1968. Got a Minolta SRT101 SLR camera the next year so as to be able to have more choices...

Are you a professional photographer?

13 years 5 months ago #5589 by Screamin Scott
By choice, no, although I've sold prints, done some commercial shoots, have also done some weddings (don't like them), Little League photos (enjoyed a lot) & some portraits. Right now I'm awaiting a response from an Art Buyer for a publishing company to get back to me on using some of my images on greeting cards. I'm not into having Photography as my sole source of income as then it becomes less fun & more like work...Plus by working for a larger company, the side benefits like Medical & Dental insurance come with the job instead of paying out the nose for individual policies like when you are self employed.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5590 by Billy 9

Screamin Scott wrote: By choice, no, although I've sold prints, done some commercial shoots, have also done some weddings (don't like them), Little League photos (enjoyed a lot) & some portraits. Right now I'm awaiting a response from an Art Buyer for a publishing company to get back to me on using some of my images on greeting cards. I'm not into having Photography as my sole source of income as then it becomes less fun & more like work...Plus by working for a larger company, the side benefits like Medical & Dental insurance come with the job instead of paying out the nose for individual policies like when you are self employed.

Understood. I thought wedding photography was fun to do with good money?

13 years 5 months ago #5605 by Jeffster
I would say, it just happened. I have always owned a camera. I'm no pro, but love playing around with a camera!

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5606 by Screamin Scott
I didn't like the "Bridezilla's" & their mothers who always wanted to tell you how to do your work...Made it too much like "work" & less like "fun"...Don't get me wrong, it is a lucrative field & there is much money to be made,but there is also a lot more competition nowadays. Besides being a photographer, you need a lot of business savvy in order to be successful.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5764 by ArtWagner
Wife is into photography, so it turned into a fun hobby for both of us.

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #6324 by deewun
In the days when orders were orders and to be obeyed at all times without question, I was directed to become a Photographer and Crime Scene Examiner, in a British police force. My previous experience in photography had been with a box camera! The six weeks course at New Scotland Yard gave me the basis of what has sustained me through my professional and personal life. Strange what unknown opportunities lay in wait for us.

13 years 5 months ago #6434 by mwells74
Well, I always liked taking pictures but I didn't get "serious" *snicker* until I was trying to shoot my kids in soccer. The little Digital camera with the HUGE delay was driving me nuts, so I purchased Canon XT and have been working on getting better ever since.:)

13 years 5 months ago #6449 by KVRNut
Have always had cameras around me of one type or another and still have some of my parent's 160 cameras that I use on occasion. Re-rolling the film and finding spools can be a pain sometimes but it's worth the effort. Think the first camera I took a picture with was either a Brownie Box or a Kodak Tourist II almost 50 years ago.
Guess what got me seriously into photography was the desire to share the memories of the things I've seen and the places that are special to me. Picked up a Canon TX, went from there and started learning. The challenge of photography was another draw. Being able to touch someone with a picture is a great reward. Since then, it's been a helluva fun ride.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024