Do you need a certain quality of equipment to be a professional?

12 years 11 months ago #66897 by chasrich
Good thread... :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #66935 by Henry Peach
I have read several articles in the last decade where photojournalists have expressed that they often work with point-n-shoot style digital cameras. Recently there was one about a guy using his Iphone to document the troops in Afghanistan. They like them because they are small and discreet, and help them get the shot.

And of course there's always Terry Richardson who is laughing all the way to the bank with his cheap, crappy cameras.
12 years 11 months ago #67681 by Rob pix4u2
It all depends on your budget too- I know several pro shooters who prefer the D70-80-90 series cameras and turn out outstanding images with them. I prefer the D90 bodies to shoot hockey because it's my SKILL that makes the images-not my camera even though it helps to have good equipment

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #67959 by Ziggy
Skills are the winning horse here, however if you show up to a wedding holding a polaroid good photographer or not, your clients will be double guessing you. :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #68343 by Monster

Henry Peach wrote: I have read several articles in the last decade where photojournalists have expressed that they often work with point-n-shoot style digital cameras. Recently there was one about a guy using his Iphone to document the troops in Afghanistan. They like them because they are small and discreet, and help them get the shot.

And of course there's always Terry Richardson who is laughing all the way to the bank with his cheap, crappy cameras.

Some of those point and shoots are pretty powerful small cameras. Not to mention the iPhones are up to what... 8MP now? :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #68393 by Baydream

Monster wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: I have read several articles in the last decade where photojournalists have expressed that they often work with point-n-shoot style digital cameras. Recently there was one about a guy using his Iphone to document the troops in Afghanistan. They like them because they are small and discreet, and help them get the shot.

Some of those point and shoots are pretty powerful small cameras. Not to mention the iPhones are up to what... 8MP now? :thumbsup:

Dewitt Jones is doing an entire series using his iPhone.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #68445 by kcphotography
it's not about the equipment it's about the person holding the equipment if your good and have a love and passion for what you do then you can use the cheapest of phones and point and shoot cameras but for me i have taken loads of nice photos without the need for expencive equipment but as you grow as a photographer you yourself want to be better and better equipment will only make me love what i do even more the more i learn the more i want lol ..

i could give my friend my canon 7d and i could use my old phone samsung d900 and i know i could still get a better photo than he could :0)

12 years 10 months ago #93849 by Rob pix4u2
The pro can make an image that is good nonwithstanding the equipment used. The amateur can make a crappy image with a D3x. So charging market rates may get you to a D3 sooner than not.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #93869 by Stealthy Ninja
These high level pros who use cheap cameras/iPhones to do "work" are the exception.

For example, Henry mentioned Terry Richardson... seems to have access more than anything else. He's a hipster taking photos of his hipster friends... some of which are models/famous and can't tell a good photo from a crappy over-exposed/saturated piece of rubbish that's just weird for the sake of being weird.... still he makes money so he must be good right?! :rolleyes

He does have his own style, I'll admit that. If people want him to take weird photos of them. All the best.

Oh guys like him are usually master self marketers... which is more important than talent...
12 years 10 months ago #93877 by Rob pix4u2
Mostly it's " Because they can" when it comes to paying for the Ferrari model Hasseblad. But the images one makes should speak for themselves

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #94009 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: For example, Henry mentioned Terry Richardson... seems to have access more than anything else. He's a hipster taking photos of his hipster friends... some of which are models/famous and can't tell a good photo from a crappy over-exposed/saturated piece of rubbish that's just weird for the sake of being weird.... still he makes money so he must be good right?! :rolleyes

He does have his own style, I'll admit that. If people want him to take weird photos of them. All the best.

Oh guys like him are usually master self marketers... which is more important than talent...

:agree:

A good promo story is more important than good gear. ;) The most famous aren't necessarily always good self-marketers, but they find someone who is great at it and will work for them: agents, spouses, gallery owners, museum curators, etc...
12 years 10 months ago #94183 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: For example, Henry mentioned Terry Richardson... seems to have access more than anything else. He's a hipster taking photos of his hipster friends... some of which are models/famous and can't tell a good photo from a crappy over-exposed/saturated piece of rubbish that's just weird for the sake of being weird.... still he makes money so he must be good right?! :rolleyes

:agree:

A good promo story is more important than good gear. ;) The most famous aren't necessarily always good self-marketers, but they find someone who is great at it and will work for them: agents, spouses, gallery owners, museum curators, etc...

So the greats are all scabs?! :thumbsup:

LOL
12 years 10 months ago #94257 by mj~shutterbugg
I will be the first to admit I am over my head with my Canon 5D Mii, haven't touched on 1/3 of what it can do, but I wanted it for the ability to have a full frame sensor, and the ability to crop as needed, as well as produce large wall hanging images. The 5d does what I wanted it to do. I consider myself a student of photography and will until the day I die. My skill however is in my hands and brain not the camera. As I have taken equally crappy work on both my 5d or my antique 10D.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #96587 by Rob pix4u2
MJ you turn out some beautiful work that shows your obvious talent regardless of the camera you used to produce it

Rob Huelsman Sr.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 10 months ago #96603 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: So the greats are all scabs?! :thumbsup:

I don't know how you got that from what I said. Scabs are union breakers. I'm not sure what that has to do with getting famous as a creative.

I said the majority of famous artists have someone else working on promoting them. It's a completely different skill set, and a full time job. The artist needs to be able to work. You will find these agents (they often have other labels/jobs) somewhere in the biographies of almost all famous artists and photographers.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024